Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my 64 1/2 is in pretty good shape but a few things have to be fixed so I get a license plate in germany. A horn e.g. is mandatory so I have to get it to work.

Looks like both, horn and courtesy lights are connected to the light switch, at least in my repair manual it says that the horn fude is in the light switch (sounds a bit strange to me). Would you agree to swap that switch and can I evaluate somehow if this is the defective part ?!

Mike

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Carburetor I live in New Zealand down at the "a*s end of the world". I too have a 64 1/2 Mustang that I imported from California last year.

If it is not a fuse problem for your horns, check the earthing of them. I presume you have the big horns down on the chassis rails instead of the later smaller ones up front behind the grill. Earthing can be a problem because of the location on the early cars.

When my car arrived someone had replaced the original style with cheap generic type Fiamm horns that are on most cars these days. I ditched these and got some proper ones off E-pay. they are earthed by the bracket so make sure you have good contact between that and the rail. The horns run through a relay below the voltage reg. I tested the horns themselves first by earthing them on the radiator support and running a wire from the horn terminal and toughing the other end on a battery terminal . I'd check the horns aren't at fault first. I created a useful device I use use for checking all sorts of electrical problems. It is simply a length of electrical wire with an alligator clip soldered on the each end.

Both my daughters went to Germany for student exchange and both were near Munchen. My younger one is taking German Language at University. She wants go back there. She is lucky enough to have a Dutch passport from her mothers side.

Lets us know how you get on

GB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I checked fuses first of cause. As the rear lights and brake lights go thru the same fuse as the horn inside the light switch it has to be ok as both rear and brake lights work fine.

Hm ... looks like I have two different problems here. I´ll keep you updated.

Mike

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I checked fuses first of cause. As the rear lights and brake lights go thru the same fuse as the horn inside the light switch it has to be ok as both rear and brake lights work fine.

Hm ... looks like I have two different problems here. I´ll keep you updated.

Mike
Hi Mike,

As our Aussie friend mentioned check for grd, then check the relay just below the regulator. The horns are hot all the time. The relay works as a sw it grd. But, you probably should just make sure each of the horns work by themselves using a couple of leads and direct 12V contact to one of the terminals. When you depress the horn ring, you should hear the relay cut-in., if not start there. I'v been there done that!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Mike,

As our Aussie friend mentioned check for grd, then check the relay just below the regulator. The horns are hot all the time. The relay works as a sw it grd. But, you probably should just make sure each of the horns work by themselves using a couple of leads and direct 12V contact to one of the terminals. When you depress the horn ring, you should hear the relay cut-in., if not start there. I'v been there done that!
Good Luck!
"Ausie Friend".......no no no !. I'm a "Kiwi" from New Zealand.. next door. As much as we love our Australian neighbours we are different, but we do enjoy a friendly rivalry with them. Akin to calling a Southerner a Yankee I suppose. No offence taken though mate (grin). But whatever we are we are all "Mustangers" here. Here endeth the Geography lesson.

GB

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
"Ausie Friend".......no no no !. I'm a "Kiwi" from New Zealand.. next door. As much as we love our Australian neighbours we are different, but we do enjoy a friendly rivalry with them. Akin to calling a Southerner a Yankee I suppose. No offence taken though mate (grin). But whatever we are we are all "Mustangers" here. Here endeth the Geography lesson.

GB
Oh no, sorry GB! I'd hate to loose my Kiwi supplier for that spring lamb. LOL.
I thought, I'd seen a reference to "AU" somewhere in your post, that's how you got "co-mingled" with those "big island" neighnors.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My todays investigations brought up the following:

Horn relay: ok
Horn: ok
Power feed to relay: ok

But between the steering wheel and the column is a massive gap, so there is no contact between that little pin and the horn-ring. I´ve closed the gap by losening the underdash clamp holding the column and pushing the column upwards.

Unfortunately the little pin with the attached spring jumped out while trying to evaluate a potential contact problem and so I have to remove the steering wheel first to get it back in :crybaby:

Keep you updated ...

Mike

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
My todays investigations brought up the following:

Horn relay: ok
Horn: ok
Power feed to relay: ok

But between the steering wheel and the column is a massive gap, so there is no contact between that little pin and the horn-ring. I´ve closed the gap by losening the underdash clamp holding the column and pushing the column upwards.

Unfortunately the little pin with the attached spring jumped out while trying to evaluate a potential contact problem and so I have to remove the steering wheel first to get it back in :crybaby:

Keep you updated ...

Mike
Hi Mike
I think it's a blue wire from the column to the relay. When I had horn issues, part of my trouble shooting began with checking for continuity between the column wire (blue) and the firewall connector. That being OK, I then, checked from the connector to the relay. In the end, I found my problem was the hot lead from the regulator to the relay was not terminated correctly at the regulator. It turned out this termination, although appearing normal, was actually a bad termination that eventually loosened.

Ken

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh no, sorry GB! I'd hate to loose my Kiwi supplier for that spring lamb. LOL.
I thought, I'd seen a reference to "AU" somewhere in your post, that's how you got "co-mingled" with those "big island" neighnors.
Happy Motoring!

LOL . No problems Kenash apology accepted !

regards
GB

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Mike
I think it's a blue wire from the column to the relay. When I had horn issues, part of my trouble shooting began with checking for continuity between the column wire (blue) and the firewall connector. That being OK, I then, checked from the connector to the relay. In the end, I found my problem was the hot lead from the regulator to the relay was not terminated correctly at the regulator. It turned out this termination, although appearing normal, was actually a bad termination that eventually loosened.

Ken
Thanks Ken, I´ll print your comment and cross-check later this week.

Mike

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, got it !

The previous owner putted a 65 steering wheel on my 64 1/2 Convertible. The horn contacts are different but it looks easy to make ground available to the outer contact ring. I did so temporary and it works.

I´ll post a picture when finished.

Mike

P.S.: Courtesty lights are still down :crybaby:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check fuse for courtesay lamps first. Its the short 7.5 amp one that is one of the easier ones to get at in the 64 1/2 fuse box. The 7.5 amp fuse might be hard to get in Germany as I had that problem here in NZ. You can use a 7.5 amp fuse from a radio/electronics shop. Same length but a little smaller in circumferance but it will sit in place without falling out.

Also check the grounding of the lamp holders. These are grounded by where they are screwed to the underside of the dash panel. Bulbs OK?

GB

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
ok, got it !

The previous owner putted a 65 steering wheel on my 64 1/2 Convertible. The horn contacts are different but it looks easy to make ground available to the outer contact ring. I did so temporary and it works.

I´ll post a picture when finished.

Mike

P.S.: Courtesty lights are still down :crybaby:

Hey Mike,
I had the same thing. So, I had to reverse it, as well.
Good Luck mate!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts