Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 FB with an aftermarket steering column...and two newly bought cheapest NPD horns....when I try to wire one horn it works (either one)...but when I try to wire both...it only grunts...I ran a wire direct to the battery for both...and still the issue...is this just low voltage from battery or another issue...I even ran it to a jump battery...is this just a bad horn buy?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I have a 69 FB with an aftermarket steering column...and two newly bought cheapest NPD horns....when I try to wire one horn it works (either one)...but when I try to wire both...it only grunts...I ran a wire direct to the battery for both...and still the issue...is this just low voltage from battery or another issue...I even ran it to a jump battery...is this just a bad horn buy?
Check the grounds, before condemning the horn. Most, if not all, horns are enabled through connecting to ground.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
both are direct to battery...will try seperate lines....batt is at 7.5 volts...charging it now.
It is a good maintenance point to have available a trickle charger connected to your mustang's battery full time when not in use.
I have a CTEK connected 24/7 when garaged. The battery is always fully charged and ready for action.

This is among the best
https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-40-206-5-0-12-Battery-Charger/dp/B00CD44RQO/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=ctek+battery+maintainer&qid=1562536492&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 66 with the same issue. When I bought the car it had after market horns on it, they worked but we're obviously wrong. I installed a pair of new SD repos and when both are hooked up nothing happens. Disconnect either and the one connected works. Definitely not a ground issue. And it's a new battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts