Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Base Coupe V8 289cid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Jake, this is my first post here! I am looking for advice and recommendations. My issue is as follows: while driving my 1965 Mustang the other day, the center horn cap on what appears to be a ~10-15 y/o Grant steering wheel popped off and the horn was stuck in an on position. I pulled over and put the cap back on, horn stopped blaring, but now sparks are appearing when pressed.

At home, I took the cap back off, removed the negative contact and electrical taped it and put the cap back on. Now it’s not sparking but then again no more horn. My go-to thought is to just get a new steering wheel as my turn signal doesn’t reset automatically either and I know there are contacts behind that can be fixed in the process of getting a new steering wheel.

That being said, I have 2 questions: 1. Is there a way to fix the issues mentioned above without getting a new steering wheel, and 2. If purchasing a new wheel, what should I get? I see a lot of negative reviews on the Grant, but there is also a Scott Drake in CJ that gets poor reviews saying horn doesn’t work with the kit. So really looking for recommendations on that front.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
371 Posts
A specific suggestion- google mustang GT steering wheel and you will see an almost dead ringer for a deluxe steering wheel without many of the drawbacks (ugly fake cracked fake plastic wood and a complicated horn ring). The wheel has great real wood and a simplified horn.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe with a '68 302 and a Toploader 4-speed
40 Posts
Hi Jake!

To answer your question #1, yes, it is possible. I have a Grant wheel and Grand hub/adapter kit on my '66 and they work fine.

The non-canceling turn signals are probably because the roll pins weren't installed on the back of the adapter (or weren't installed properly). I'm pretty sure you can download the instructions from Grant, and you get some roll pins at a hardware store. Follow those instructions exactly, especially the parts about getting the length right. The sparking is probably due to a pinched wire and/or improper assembly when you put it back together. Again, those instructions are your friend.

Having said all that, consider the responses you get to your question #2. There are better alternatives than the Grant stuff.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang Base Coupe V8 289cid
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all! Will do a little research on this using the info provided. Appreciate all the responses so far, very helpful.

·
Registered
1971 302 C4 auto convertible, Grabber Blue/white/white
770 Posts
So far my Grant is OK,I carefully sanded down the circuit board so the hub snapped on tight…everything looks good and functions as it should…it looks like they did some tweaks to the internal bits, my instructions had an addendum and a few extra parts…the only issue is the chrome was flaking off parts of the center cap new out of box, luckily on bottom edge that can’t be seen….
Speedometer Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Gauge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts