Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The horn contact of the turn signal switch on my early '67 Mustang doesn't seem to be touching the inner ring of the steering wheel. (The horn works ok with the wheel off, and power is at the steering wheel when it is on.)

My question is, if I need to replace the switch, can a '65-'66 switch be used on an early '67? And what's the deal with a '67 turn signal switch being 3 times the price of a '65-'66? It seems nuts you have to replace the switch to fix a simple contact.

Thanks, jp

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
I have not actually done it yet but it looks like a .22 LR case cut off to about 1/4" long will fit over the spring loaded horn contacts and "renew" them.

·
Registered
35,117 Posts
I wonder if the C2OZ-13A821-A horn contact brush for the single brush applications... early '65 w/generator, 60-72 pickup, 66-72 Bronco.... would fit if you buy 2? If I was going to fabricate something I'd be more apt to buy a piece of brass pin stock of appropriate diameter and solder the lead to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I was able to get enough out of the column adjustment to get it working at the steering wheel. That at least buys me some time, and for now that's good enough. jp

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I was able to get enough out of the column adjustment to get it working at the steering wheel. That at least buys me some time, and for now that's good enough. jp
What's the secret to moving the column? I have loosened the 2 nuts on the u shaped bracket under the dash and made sure the adhesive wasn't sticking but I can get it to budge. I am not sure which part slides and which stays fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loosened the same bracket and was able to get it to slightly close the gap with the steering wheel. Maybe an 1/8" - 3/16". The outside tube moves. That's all I needed. jp

·
Premium Member
10,970 Posts
I am not sure which part slides and which stays fixed.
The outer tube slides, the inner shaft doen't. The turn signal switch and horn contacts are attached to the outer tube and the steering wheel with the horn contact ring is attached to the shaft. So the horn contacts move closer to the contact ring when you slide the outer tube up.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What's the secret to moving the column? I have loosened the 2 nuts on the u shaped bracket under the dash and made sure the adhesive wasn't sticking but I can get it to budge. I am not sure which part slides and which stays fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
It's not adhesive, its a rubber strip, I guess for vibration control. Make sure it's not stuck on both sides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts