Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have extra set of horns laying around, I tested them and neither one work, are these fixable ?, or should I put them out of my misery?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
There are a couple of guys that restore horns. They are fairly simple except they are held together by rivets that need to be drilled out and then you must fabricate new ones. I have not found a source for those yet. Just a coil inside that has probably opened. If you dont care about originality, you can just disassemble, rewind and pop rivet them back together.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I found a guy on the internet that fixes horns and he wanted something like $150 to repair one horn.

I found a working one on eBay for $8.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Remove the adjustment screw, squirt in some WD-40 and shake it around.... Replace the screw to the same depth.

This has worked for me several times.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've done the same as Art on 2 sets (you know there's a high and a low, right?). One was so bad I let it soak for a week. It came back a little raspy at first but that cleared up and it works.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I was wondering why my horn sounded so sick. Turns out I have two lows! Interesting sound for sure.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
If you want a really LOUD, but cool sounding horn, find an old 6 volt "high" horn, and put it in place of your stock 12v one. Once had a 57 Pontiac that I put an old Ford 6v high horn on, and it was a beast!

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Mine had deteriorated to a low moooooan. I replaced 'em with a pair of european PIAA hi-lo's. Obviously, they're not stock, but they're black (plastic, though), they're shaped pretty much like the stockers (with the stickers removed, at a glance they could pass as stock) and they sound just like a bloody Ferrari! (and a LOUD one at that!)
Not for everyone, I know, but an option...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I've never used them, so I can't vouch for them, but here is a company that restores horns.

The Horn Works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts