Vintage Mustang Forums banner
201 - 220 of 241 Posts

·
VMF Ambassador
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
By the way I read your post, it seems as if you plan on having your insurance company involved? I would only talk to the insurance company of the man who hit you, no reason to Amica involved at all.
No, my insurance company will not be involved. Was just giving out some information regarding my coverage of my car (as it would be in the event of a wreck that was my fault or no one's fault)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Got an online quote today from Haggerty today. I can replace my current liability insurance with full coverage up to $20k and SAVE $100 a year doing it! After hearing of your misfortune, it has moved up my priority list quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
In the meantime, they have gotten me a rental car since I technically have nothing to drive. It's a Toyota Corolla and it's pretty awful. I have no idea how people see out of these new cars because there's so many pillars and headrests and what have you in the way of the windows. No wonder people hit each other all the time now, the only way you CAN see is forward! I ripped out all of the additional headrests (not mine) and what have you and it's a little better but the windows are still weeny. The insurance company will ALSO be paying for my rental in Colorado, as I was going to be driving Jane out there for the summer. If they try to push me then that rental will be a brand new Mustang GT instead of some econobox.

If I were you, I'd ask for "LOSS OF USE" of your Mustang. You are entitled to drive a comparable replacement vehicle. Request reimbursement (daily rate to rent a '66 Mustang) from the accident date all the way until the time they pay for the damages. You should be able to find some places that rent classics online and I'd start from there. It will be a grip of money, but that will also help with future restoration. They're getting off easy if they're renting you a Corolla...gosh, you're too nice.

We deal with this whenever our insured hits someone driving a Bentley or Rolls Royce...their representatives always ask for loss-of-use. And, it's owed!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Matt, even State Farm offers "Agreed Value" insurance for classics. You should really look into other options.
State Farm here with "agreed value" policy.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Edit 4 is up on the main post regarding chiropractors and insurance appraisers.

Mods, please let me know if I am spamming this thread to death and I will limit the updates to once every few days.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jus for my 2 cents, shop around for chiropractors, their not all the same.mi got hurt a couple of yrs ago at work and went thru the company's ppl for the first few weeks and hated it. Finally just bit the bullet and paid outta my own pocket for someone I liked. Made a big difference. Don't let them cheap out on the medical. Their at fault and you deserve to be taken care of, not just delt with....I'm sorry about the car, it's all of ours worst nightmare.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Jus for my 2 cents, shop around for chiropractors, their not all the same.mi got hurt a couple of yrs ago at work and went thru the company's ppl for the first few weeks and hated it. Finally just bit the bullet and paid outta my own pocket for someone I liked. Made a big difference. Don't let them cheap out on the medical. Their at fault and you deserve to be taken care of, not just delt with....I'm sorry about the car, it's all of ours worst nightmare.
The chiropractor I am currently seeing is the exact same one that I have been seeing for a couple of years, so no problems there. All I had to do was file for personal injury through the claim already open.

So far they are doing a good job of taking care of me. It made me feel a lot better that they have been so accommodating.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Kelly!

I am very sorry to read you had the rotten luck of getting a beautiful car on the road only to have it rear ended. You didn't deserve that. I am also glad you are OK. Surely the headrest provided a measure of safety and protection for your neck. Without it, things could have turned out worse. Much worse. Putting those seats in your car was a very very smart move on your part and they may have saved your life.

Your Jane will live again but it was sure sickening to see the smashed pics... Thank God you are OK. The car can be replaced, you can't.

I am impressed to see your Dad posting here and am very much impressed with the outpouring of support and encouragement from everyone here. If there is a way I can provide some sort of help I will be happy to do so.

Also looks like you all are doing the right thing with the insurance dealings. Keep it up. I used to be an insurance adjuster and all things are negotiable, especially with claims involving bodily injury (your neck and doctor visits qualify under BI). Like others said, don't settle prematurely; with your neck you may need ongoing treatment/therapy. Insurance companies like to settle quickly since adjusters don't like carrying large inventories of unsettled claims. Your car damage can be calculated easier and quicker than your neck injury. So make sure with both that you settle on your terms, not theirs. Also keep in mind (at least in my day) insurance companies in our state did not pay med bills until the claim was settled, causing claimants to be be pestered by hospitals and doctors in the interim. Claimants would get aggravated and hire an attorney to get the med people of their backs. My experience with attorneys handling insurance claims is that the claimant usually fares no better in the end. The more the attorney can drag things out, and complicate the picture, the bigger the cut they get. If you stay on top of the insurance dealings yourself, you are much better off in a claim like this. Your own insurance company would probably be willing to offer up some advice here and there so you guys aren't treading water all alone.

I'm not a professional shop, but it would seem that to repair Jane would require first putting her on a frame straightener and pulling the forward dents and crumples ahead of the big crunch prior to cutting the quarters and trunk floor out. That way the structure gets put back into alignment including the doors, roof and area of the differential tunnel. At some place, the rear replacement rear frame rails will need to installed along with a trunk floor, wheel houses, inner quarters, valance, outer quarters, etc. That will take care of the bulk of the metal work. Body and paint then would be straightforward as it would be on any collision repair. You have an excellent shop that you trust and they will do the right things, am just thinking out loud.... I think your stang is repairable and it looks like your insurance claim is working in that direction thus far...

Good luck and I know you will prevail!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Kelly,
It's amazing how you have changed along with Jane.
In that 1st picture you look like you're 13!
Jane will ride again.
Your quick reflexes kept it from being worse...
which it would have if you froze and stood on the brake.

Toot2, that's good advice.

As unfortunate as this accident was, hopefully the perpetrator will realize it's time to stop getting behind the wheel.
This accident may have prevented Mr. Octogenerian from killing someone else.
The bulk of us here are in our fifties and sixties, and dealing with this very thing right now;
getting mom or dad to give up their keys.
And there's no easy way to do that....

·
Registered
656 Posts
Don't forget your time when you figure Jane's value. Three years represents a lot of hours of work. Your time is valuable. Odds are his insurance company won't want to cover your time and effort. As for repairs, ask for NOS parts if they are available. In the end you may need a lawyer to get the total value of Jane out of the guy. Find someone knowledgeable you trust to review any and all paperwork, as they say the devil's in the details. Good luck!

201 - 220 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.