Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So sorry, glad your ok. What kind of heavy boat was the 83 yo driving? Have you thought about aftermarket brighter taillights? I stare at the rearview mirror at llights because I dont think the stock tails are bright enough for todays drivers.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Kelly,

Absolutely sick to my stomach for you...great news that you are okay and have taken the attitude to get her rebuilt and back on the road again.

As others have stated am really interested in how the insurance plays out so that we can all learn, check our own policies and hopefully prepare properly for something we never wish to happen to anyone.

Please keep us posted on the insurance and also on rebuilding plans, progress.

Thanks for sharing the details as I am sure its helps you deal with the temporary loss of Miss Jane.

John

·
Registered
432 Posts
So sorry, glad your ok. What kind of heavy boat was the 83 yo driving? Have you thought about aftermarket brighter taillights? I stare at the rearview mirror at llights because I dont think the stock tails are bright enough for todays drivers.
I think its the buick looking car on the flatbed in the background of the second pic.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
He was driving a brand new Toyota compact something, it had 14 miles on the clock and he was driving it home from the dealer. His wife was following him in their old car because she was "too scared" to drive the new one in case she messed it up. Yes, we all see the irony.

My taillights are super-bright LEDs. There was no way for him to not see me other than eyesight problems and/or incompetence.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
With regards to insurance, I am insured under a normal stated value policy because the car is a daily driver and collector car insurance puts limitations on mileage, location, usage, etc. The car was going to be officially appraised by someone on Monday. I will never again make that mistake.

Luckily my insurance company is very good and they have always been good to our family. Our family also has a history of extreme tenacity (see: my approach when building this car for 3 years) and so I have no doubt that we will give the insurance companies hell. I do have a parts list and photos for literally everything on the car so that will help me out. There are also photos of the car and videos of it driving on Monday so it cannot be contested that she was any different shape.

Thanks to all for the condolences. This is a hard one.

·
VMF Ambassador
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh, and with regard to where Jane will be taken to get her fixed - she will be going to nowhere other than Chas's place. I know that he does excellent work and, most importantly, he works fast. I do NOT want to get stuck in some high dollar resto shop that will take years to give my car back because they are running other cars through at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OH if there was ever a hug due . im certain that you can use one / :( First off im glad you appear to be ok .. if I hurts tomorrow or so go get it checked out at the ER please . been there b4 , I am so so so sorry for your mustang , but in the same breath you find a way to say " im rebuilding her " thanks for not letting your hopes and dreams go away on a rollback . I think this may be my actual 1st post I ve been restoring a 68 fastback . you have the love of ms jane that even a crash wont stop :) Jeff

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
1. Driving under a stated value policy means if your insurance company needed to fix your car...it would be totaled and you would find out the hard way you wanted an agreed value policy.
2. Since you didn't have an agreed value policy in place chance your insurance company will fight for you are slim to none IMO when the other guys insurance company sends you a check for $12k and calls it a day (plus takes the car)
3. You should not have had it towed anywhere but to your house when an adjuster can come look at it. IF you had a 25k agreed value policy you would still be hard pressed to get it fixed.

I'm sorry for your loss. Every piece of sheetmetal from the fenders back (sans hood) has to be touched on that car, plus underside metal, sub frames, roof line issues.....even though the other guy is at fault his insurance will do everything possible NOT to get your car fixed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
He was driving a brand new Toyota compact something, it had 14 miles on the clock and he was driving it home from the dealer.

I am sorry to see the carnage to the car you put so much into, hopefully you are OK, give it a couple of days to see if you are hurt. A sports medicine doctor and physiotherapist saved my neck, literally, a decade ago.

Dude was probably distracted by the control configuration in his new appliance.

Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Kelly, that really sucks. I almost cried :crybaby: looking at your Mustang. You put in so much hard work to have someone mess it up. :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am so sorry for you! As a fellow young mustang owner/enthusiast I know how hard it is when you put your blood sweat and tears into the thing and then risking it in front of idiots on the streets these days. I am glad your ok, and have always enjoyed your posts/pics of Jane, many of which have helped me decide which way to go with my car. So sorry for your loss. :((.... Keep your chin up I hope to hear updates on where this once/soon to be again gorgeous car is going.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Really sorry to see what happend to your car. I know saying that at least you are not hurt sound good, but you must feel aweful because so much damage to your pride and joy. You take care.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
It's very fortunate that you're ok. As indicated, don't sign anything about
your physical condition.
Don't let your insurance fix the car, whatever you do. The process is called
subrogation. They then in turn try to collect from the other insurer. This process
WILL raise your rates. Let the process play out and be patient.
Once upon a time I was a damage appraiser and fraud investigator in the
insurance industry.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Heartbreak!!!!

So sorry to see this ! My wife cannot understand why I am so upset right now about someone I never met, but she doesn't get us VMFers ! I don't know what sentimental attachment you have to your car aside from sweat equity - but if I were in this situation, I would be considering a fresh start, simply to avoid the heartache of rebuilding ahead. If you can get a payout, maybe buy the car from insurance for the drivetrain, but consider another turn-key vintage Mustang to enjoy. Just a thought...

I went through rebuilding my first truck ('71 Ford) after an accident and it never felt the same - ended up selling it.

In any regards, sorry again to hear & good luck with insurance BS. :shrug:

·
Registered
42,090 Posts
WOW! Glad you are okay! You may end up being sore tomorrow though and don't hesitate going to see a doctor, even for the last little pain.

Ms. Jane looks hurt, but fixable, but the geezer's insurance company will probably call it a total loss and want to cut you a check. Make sure any deal involves you keeping the car and getting the very most you can in damage, including rental car until it's fixed (a new V8 Mustang would be appropriate), and if they start to give you a hard time, start going to the doctor or the ER every day with a headache or back pain until they do.

Don't know if I can offer anything else but all you have to do is ask. Take care.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I'm glad to here you were not harmed. I hope that you remain uninjured from this accident. Sorry to here about the damage to your mustang. I wish you all the best, and hope that you and your car have a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Kelly- Like everyone else here, I am shocked and dont know what to say. I am very glad that you are okay, that is the most important thing. I just feel so sorry for you that you had to go through that after all of the hard work you put into the car. I hope the insurance companies dont give you too much fight.

21 - 40 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.