Vintage Mustang Forums banner
101 - 120 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
OMG! I got sick last night when I saw this. This exact situation is why my wife is giving me a hard time about spending as much as I am on mine. I showed it to her, and the debate started again.
But the big question is, how many years are you going to get for murder!? This sure would have sent me away for life. Is the old guy OK? Didn't hurt him too bad yet did you?

·
Premium Member
12,616 Posts
Go get a neck x-ray....go get your neck x-rayed .... Go get your neck x-rayed......if mine had be x-rayed when i got rear ended i would have the pain i have today ! Kelly go get your neck x-rayed that guys insurance will pay and has to pay for it ! Do it kelly do it ! right now i take vicodin for the neck pain so i can sleep at night. i can only sleep on my left side. i can no longer take tylonal of ibuprophen beacuse i took it for many many years and started having side effects. heres a foto of my vicodin bottle

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
Kelly glad that you are okay. I saw the title of your post and knew your car had been hit. Make sureyou are okay over the next couple of days. Go to your doctor for a check up. at least you had an eye on the rearview mirror and were able to start moving forward to lessen the impact if not escape. Had a woman rear end me on a Sunday morn, 8 am, we were the only two cars out. The police officer was amazed that I didn't grab the woman and do bodily harm to her. My damage was not as extensive as yours. It's good Chas knows the car. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Kelly, that sucks. I'm so sorry. As everyone has said... at least you're ok. Chas can get her back together for you.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No matter how good you think you feel at the moment do not sign away any rights to a claim. I was rear ended last year and I thought I was fine but each day after the accident it got worse. Even 2 months later it progressed into numbness in my hands from my neck compression. I went to a chiroprator right away and was told its pretty normal to think you are ok at the start when you really are hurt and it shows up later

·
Registered
311 Posts
Man, I don't even have the right words to say to that. That is one of my worst fears. Wilmington has the worst drivers I have ever seen. Yesterday I came within two feet of getting T-boned by someone making an illegal U-turn! I get nervous every time I take my cars out on the road here.

I don't know where Chas's shop is, but if it's local I'll be willing to lend a hand if need be. I've been out of the business for a few years but I still know how to work a welder and sanding block.

·
Premium Member
12,616 Posts
No matter how good you think you feel at the moment do not sign away any rights to a claim. I was rear ended last year and I thought I was fine but each day after the accident it got worse. Even 2 months later it progressed into numbness in my hands from my neck compression. I went to a chiroprator right away and was told its pretty normal to think you are ok at the start when you really are hurt and it shows up later
+ 1,000,000 , get a neck xray

·
Registered
830 Posts
MOG, so glad you are OK! Hopefully you are still feeling alright. Sorry to see what happened to Jane. :(

Jane is very fixable, it'll just take time. Before you know it she'll be back on the road! This sucks, but you'll drive her again.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I can't even imagine how upset/sick to your stomach you must have felt. I hope you can get Jane all back together and running without too much hassle from the insuirance company.

·
Registered
13,093 Posts
I am most impressed with the overwhelming outpouring of support here. Last year I had the priviledge of meeting Kelly. She is a very nice, intelligent and lovely young lady. It just blows monkey chunks that she suffered this setback. But that's what it is; a setback. And I'm looking forward to the Mustang community coming together to help Kelly get her pony back on the road.

My first car was a Mustang. Something I learned early on was whenever I met another Mustang owner, he or she was almost always very nice and supportive. I've got nothing against Camaros, Corvettes or Mopars. But I haven't had the same experience with those people. Sure, you'll find a few tools among any crowd. But I strongly believe there's just something about Mustang people. And it's a very good something. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Kelly, Glad your OK. I can only agree with what others have said that I enjoyed reading your posts and thought your car was awesome. Get it back on the road soon and let us know if we can help in any way. John

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yea, its nice no one was in front of you too. Same thing happened to me in my mustang, but when they hit me from the back, it pushed me into the car in front of me. My car looked like an accordion. I took it to a good body shop and it look excellent now! (probably better)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Glad you are OK.

I actually teared up looking at the pictures.

Great advice here so far. It will be interesting what their insurance company has to say. Yeah it's an old car, but it should be obvious to anyone with eyes that it's very nice and worth a good bit of money. Maybe obvious and insurance companies don't mix, I don't know.

Are you gonna get the same guy that painted it to fix it?

If not, I'd get it to a mustang expert that can be trusted for a real "Vintage Mustang" estimate. Someone like Chris Stage, or Glazier Nolan, or Rusty.

That car was darn nice, and you deserve it back darn nice without having to chase every detail yourself. IMHO it would be nice to turn it over to one of those shops and say, call me when it's done, with his insurance covering the tab..

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
What's being said about NOT signing anything and getting a THOROUGH back exam, etc. As said, an injury might not show up right away.
Did that guy get a ticket-charged? Listening to the atty. ads on tv, most things never
get to court. He hit you in rear, doesn't give them anything to challenge.
Feel bad, have read all your posts about Jane and the effort you have made to get her where she "was" She will run again! That would be good narrative on Mustang Monthly!

Remember seeing the 65 fstbk pics of a V-M'er encounter with an 18 wheeler. Car got repaired and is back on the road.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
In May, 2012, I was hit head on by a 73 year old gray haired b***h driving on the wrong side of the road. I didn't get the claim settled until November, but I finally got fair value (minus the cost I had to incur to hire an independent appraisal, $400)

Along with all of the other warnings that everyone has already given you, if his insurer uses CCC ValueScope for their comparables and their "Fair Market Value" evaluation, immediately reject it. Nearly all of the insurers use that vendor, and the reason they do is because CCC undercuts across the board by a minimum of 10% and in some cases 40%. Since it's an outside vendor performing the evaluation, the insurer is indemnified from the phony appraisals and CCC keeps several million dollars of their annual budgets reserved for litigations. That is their business model.

As a responsibility of my job, I analyze tons and tons of data. Geico submitted the CCC report (I still have it) and upon looking at the comparables, quite a few red flags immediately jumped out at me.

At any rate, I had a hell of a fight with the insurer(I finally won.) I've kept all of the documentation and if you want to see my exchange with Geico, PM me and I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
dude, that sucks! I definately feel your pain-I had a 93 year old lady t-bone me in my '65 GT coupe in high school on my way home from class. She hit me in the driver's door, I rolled forward, she gassed it and rear ended me again!! Definately glad to hear you weren't hurt.
I would like to clarify something though- if you are rear-ended your gas tank CAN explode, and YES- that's a fact! I'm not trying to pick a fight, BUT- I can send you pics of a '67 coupe that was rear ended and did in fact explode in flames. I've looked this poor car over a million times and it about makes you sick. As I'm told the driver and his wife both sustained 3rd degree burns over a large portion of their body but survived. The car however was literally 'toast' from the windshield back. It sat in my friend's salvage yard for over 2 years while the insurance companies were held up in litigation. That said, it's probably not going to happen every time, but- it IS possible. I used to think the 'tank armor' and rear seat dividers were just a cheesy gimmick to waste money on, but after seeing this car it makes me think twice- especially since I have 2 little girls and a wife that love me! Again- very sad to see any Mustang hurt, but thankfull you weren't!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
To add: I wouldn't even think of involving an attorney until you have something to actually fight over. The only thing an attorney would accomplish would be for you to give them 1/3 of the value of your car for their services.

I'd start preparing yourself for at least a 6 month long fight with his insurer.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Also know that insurers are not required to pay the labor costs of "specialty shops" which would likely include the shop that performed the body work on your restoration. They are only required by law to pay "collision repair" shop rates even though you have every right to have repairs performed by anyone of your choosing (they just aren't going to pay for all of it)

101 - 120 of 241 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.