Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 mustang coupe with a 302, it’s got a cam and Intake and a Holley carb, the transmission has been rebuilt it’s a 3 speed automatic, my rear end is stock it has 2.79 rear gears. Every time I punch the throttle from a stop it makes a clattering noise coming from the rear, but it only does it when I’m at a stop and then goose it. It drives perfectly fine after I let off the gas and stops making the noise. I have no clue what is making the noise all I know is that it’s definitely coming from the rear of the car. Someone plz help me try to fix this issue.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Trans mount may be loose or broken allowing the driveline to move over and hit the exhaust, or the rear end squats and driveshaft is hitting something.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Jack the car up and turn the tires to see if you get any noise at the diff. Try just one side at a time too and see if that generates any noise. Likely it is an issue with your limited slip.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Somezing ist wrong back dere, LOL. I know. Totally worthless comment.

It could be any of a number of things. My first inclination based on your description of the noise is that your spring u-joints might be a little loose and when you hammer on it that starts up the racket. It could also be the shackle bolts/plates s or worn out spring and/or shackle bushings.

U-joints usually squeal and will make the vehicle feel "funny" like floaty when you take off and then let off the gas. Rear end gears generally whine when they are going out and that will evolve to a dull rumbling roar/roar/roar noise. If you are at a clattering stage in the rear end its a bomb about to go. I have had all sorts of every which noise but I haven't heard a clattering in the rear end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jack the car up and turn the tires to see if you get any noise at the diff. Try just one side at a time too and see if that generates any noise. Likely it is an issue with your limited slip.
Alright I have put it on jack stands and turned one of the tires and I can hear a slight noise

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
My Exhaust doesn’t go all the way to the back it stops right at the front of the rear tires
Yes but under hard acceleration the axle wants to wrap around the leaf spring. The pinion rises on the axle. I bet if you look at your exhaust system you will see witness marks from the driveshaft

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Alright I have put it on jack stands and turned one of the tires and " I can hear a slight noise "
This is not helpful, LOL. Thumping, grinding, popping, rattling, clattering, knocking, swishing, banging, bumping, hammering, exploding? I probably missed some.

Humming, roaring, squealing, clicking, hissing, clunking, metallic screeching, gutteral groaning(yes this is an official car noise), howling.

·
Registered
35,984 Posts
Weak springs causing rear axle "wind-up" and driveshaft/u-joint slapping the floor of the trans tunnel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts