Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 64 1/2 and i'm redoing the engine.... what is a safe horse power so that i don't have to get into frame connectors ... i might go to the drag strip once a year so the main driving will be on the street

thanks

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
i have a 64 1/2 and i'm redoing the engine.... what is a safe horse power so that i don't have to get into frame connectors ... i might go to the drag strip once a year so the main driving will be on the street

thanks
IMHO, if you Net HP of over 300, you need to start looking and at 350+, you will need em, but others with more recent experience may have other options.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,657 Posts
IMHO, subframe connectors are a good idea for any Mustang. Lots of folks here have added them and few of them actually race at all. They help make the car a bit more rigid in general. Before you even think about them, you'd want to see if your car even has front torque boxes, a lot of '66's don't. Put some in if not the think about connectors.
I wouldn't worry about a specific horsepower unless you are going beyond 350 or so. Torque and how much traction you will have is more relevant to how the how will be stressed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
IMHO, if you Net HP of over 300, you need to start looking and at 350+, you will need em, but others with more recent experience may have other options.
I can get on board with the above completely.

Remember also though...many of these early cars are quite crooked to begin with. Years of abuse, or even just street driving takes its toll. Bolt in subframe connectors are never a bad idea as far as that goes.

Cris

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

thanks
All mustangs should have them. It was a shame they didn't from the factory. Bolt in conncector will still have give in them. I recommend the weld in type.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
body strength

Cgimm, you might like to consider the toque boxes, as has been mentioned, and look at the convertible inner rocker reinforcements as well. The convertible rails add more strength than the bolt on or weld in frame ties. They are more hassle to install, however. LSG

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my opinion this guy has the right idea. All the others I have seen are not as good in my opinion. The only thing I would do is lengthen the part the inserts inside your current frame rails about another 6" or so.

·
Registered
623 Posts
In my opinion this guy has the right idea. All the others I have seen are not as good in my opinion. The only thing I would do is lengthen the part the inserts inside your current frame rails about another 6" or so.
Duh....why don't you ad the link....LOL Ok I will......

Tinman Fabrication.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts