Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could give a horsepower estimate for my current setup.
I built the engine a few years ago to run at the track, but you know how plans somtimes go. Engine has maybe 100 miles or so on it.
An 1/4 mile ET estimate would be cool also.
Ford Muscle webzine looks like they built a similar engine, but I'm not sure how their numbers would compare to mine.
400 horse 302

Heres my setup:

Block:

289 bored .030
stock bottom end all rebuilt and balanced
ARP rod bolts
TRW forged dome pistons
11:1 compression

Heads and Valvetrain:

World Products (Dart II) 351 Windsor Sr. (early castings with the odd “what were they thinking” plug locations)
Manley 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust valves (5 angle valve job)
Screw-in studs, guide plates, hardened push rods
Harland Sharp roller rockers
Heads milled (along with the block decked) to give a 60cc chamber
Machined for Fel-Pro loc-wire gaskets

Crane solid lift cam: 284/294 (238/248 @ .050) 533/555 lift RPM range 3000-6500 (valve float 6800)
120lbs. Springs
cam set at 106.75 (.032 ahead)
Hamburger timing chain
High volume oil pump, deep pan

Induction:

Holley 700 DP (4 corner idle circuits, milled choke tower)
Edelbrock Performer RPM

Exhaust:

Hooker competition headers
Full 2 ½ DynaMax with H-pipe

Ignition:

MSD distributor, coil, and 6AL ignition box w/ rev limiter

Clutch and Transmission:

Hayes steel flywheel
Centerforce clutch
Lakewood blow-proof bellhousing
Stock 4-speed top loader
Hurst shifter

Rear:

9”, 31 spline axles, traction lock, 4.57 gears

Suspension:

KYB shocks
Sub-frame connectors

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Your looking at 422 at 7000 rpms and 356 ftlb of torque at 5500 rpms. The only differnce is that i put it was a single plane insted of a dual (IIRC the RPM is) You can check out ET times if you know how fat(or skinny) your mustang is.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the RPM is a dual plane. I had a single plane Victor Jr. on there, but changed it for the street.
I'm kinda surprised how "docile" it is on the street till you stomp on it. Course with those rear gears it's more like a 1 speed instead of a 4 speed ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
the fact is, its still only 289 cubic inches... and if you can sucessfully put down 1hp per cubic inch to the ground, your doing REALLY well for yourself. you have yourself a great setup and with those rear gears i bet that car is one hell of a ride... dt just dynoed his 408c stroker, and the car only made 290 RWHP, id tend to think that 289 would be in the same ballpark, maybe 350 horse optimistically speaking....you never really know though, until you have dyno sheet in hand.id sure like to have yoursetup though !

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I don't know how far you are from Damascas, but they are having a Dyno Day soon. You ought to check it out.

Date: Saturday : 08-30-2003
Dyno Shop: Main Street Speed & Sound
Address: 9867 Main Street - Damascus, Maryland 20872
Phone: 301-368-9086
Cost: $50.00
Dyno Used: Dynojet 248h
Details: 2 consecutive dyno pulls with A/F readout

Have it done and know for sure. ::

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Ran a combo similar to yours back in the early 80's in the race car, except with a C4 and 8" converter. Ran more gear (.14's) but taller tires (14 x32). Ran 11.20's at 120 mph. Had a friend running a similar combo through a toploader running 10.90's at 122 in his 65 coupe.

Figure about 1.3 to 1.45 hp/ci. Likely towards the lower end due to your C/R. We always ran over 13:1. Typically, the automatic combos would be shifted at 6300 and limited to 7500 in the lights. The manual combos ran against the rev-limiter, which was set at 7500. The manual trans combos also ran .43's (5.43's *G*).

Hope you built the engine to spin.....it'll need to in your heavier car. Look for high 12's until you do some fine tuning of the suspension. Low 12's/high 11's are possible, although I feel that would be optimum. You'll likely want a soft compound 7x26 tire. If you were running 5.14's or a wide ratio box, you could likely fit some 9 x 28's under the wheelwells with the right wheels. You're likely lugging around 300-400 more pounds than my car and about 600 more pounds than the manual trans combo we ran.

Have fun....sounds like a great ride!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I would estimate a max of 300hp at the crank and a torque rating of 285 ft lbs of torque all in the higher rpm range.

you'll really have to spin this 289 to make the power....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts