Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a 351C 4V, performance cam , 10.5:1 compression, 3:50 gears and a stock fmx tranny. I am having problems with the headers running too low to the ground. I was thinking about the sanderson shorty header but am also considering the stock exhaust manifolds i still have. The engine runs great now, lots of torque- if i put the stock manifold on can i expect a noticeable difference in performance?

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
One thing....yes full length headers can be a pain...too bad the Clevelands don't have a shortie style from JBA this would rock!

Typically, when using a stock manifold one notices a slight drop in low end torque when switching to headers (especially full lengths)

for now, get your manifolds, get em cleaned up and "deburr" the ports in the head mating surface and deburr as far inside as you can to make the ports smooth for better airflow......

I would also use some Mr.Gasket alum impregnated gaskets, they won't leak...

good luck!!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I port matched my manifolds and removed the speed bumps by the collector. I call them speed bumps because they serve no apparent reason for being there. If your car is a 70 make sure to get 70 manifolds they have a kink in the driverside rear port for the steering box. Personally I love the sound of my manifolds and 2 1/2 inch super turbos. I would be suprised if they don't consume 20-30 horse power. If originallity is not a concern go with the block huggers (no personal experience)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts