Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing the tall Ford Racing valve covers and there are two hoses coming from the rt exhaust that will interfere with the covers' height. One is a metal tube coming from a small hole in the manifold to the electric choke. I assume this is simply to heat the choke assy up. The second is a combo metal tube/hose coming from the manifold/exhaust flange that connects to the carb (2v) at the rt side, rim area. This seems to draw warm air into the carb.

Is it OK to not reinstall the hoses? I assume they are for cold-air driving which I seldom do. I'd start the engine to check the driveability but the covers are still off. If I leave them off, are there exhaust or vacuum leaks which will occur?

Car is a 69, 351w, 2v, auto. Carb will be changed to a Holley 4v with headers soon if that matters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
They allow your choke to function properly. One provides filtered air to the exhaust to be heated by the manifold, other delivers the heated clean air to the choke spring. If you go with a manual or electric choke, you do not need them. If you elect to not reinstall them, you should convert the choke to one of the above. Most auto parts stores sell the generic choke tube kit in the Help section. There might be enough tubing in it to make it over the tall covers.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts