Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our journey to Reno for Hot August Nights was eventful and enjoyable. Being part of 5,000 registered cars is something like glorious overload. You see so many cool cars and awesome paint jobs that you almost get tired of looking. I said almost!
We labored hard for two weeks prior to the event doing major work on my sons dark blue 68 coupe, which was also registered. A new front suspension, new intake and carb, disk brake conversion, new wheels and tires, complete make-over of the interior. So by the time we left town we were really ready for a vacation. Too bad the Shelby's themostat decided our work wasn't done about the time we got to the California border.
Antifreeze all over the engine bay, so much for Ann's detailing job before we left. ::
Finally got to Reno Wednesday night and stopped at an A&W that was having a cruise-in. Dumb luck. Got to met a number of folks from the Reno Mustang Car Club at their weekly cruise-in. Nice folks, nice cars. They wanted the shelby parked in their display. So after writing up a sign for the windshield, where the car explained why it was so dirty and how it had gotten sick and puked all over itself, we joined in.
The rest of the week was fun, showing the car during the day and cruising at night. Even was able this year to join in the parade on sunday (hot! but fun). Some good times.
Monday we left for home. About 8 miles from Alturis, California the trip went south, with a big bang from the drivetrain. The bang was followed by quite a vibration, as we are trying to slow down. Stopped, but couldn't see anything obvious, engine idling fine. I thought the sound had come from the tranny. As long as we kept it under 20mph the vibration was not toooo bad. Entering Alturis I put in the clutch and let it free-wheel, then turned the engine off too, trying to narrow down where the vibration was, and it was from the tranny back. Went to restart the engine and lots of cranking, just no fire. The rotor in the little cap isn't going around :: :: :: :: Stick a fork in us, we're done!
We had the car hauled to Klamath Falls where I have a relative, and left it to get everyone else home. Went back a couple of days later and hauled it home. So this is why some folks trailor their cars to events? :p
Haven't taken much apart yet, pulled the distributor and its fine. Pulled driveline and u-joints are fine. Need to pull the cover and see where the timing chain is.
So, Still not completely sure what all has happened, but I'm sure I'm not going to like it. Maybe its time for that stroker motor?. :D The engine was the only thing restored when we bought the car, so we knew very little about how it was done. Guess we'll get to get a little more familiar with it.
We have a daughter's wedding happening the end of October, the car will have to wait. :(

So there's my sad story, I've confessed.

oh! by the way, if we make the MEET-IN-THE-MIDDLE, it's not lookin' like the shelby will.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry to hear of it Ray. :(
It's these types of trips you'll NEVER forget. We took 10 hours to get home from the Round-Up a couple of years ago due to the temperments of our '73 Mach. Not much fun and it too finished the trip on the back of a tow truck.
Hope you and Ann make the MITM, the more the merrier. :)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune on your trip. I've had a few misadventures like yours in my old 73 Mach 1.

Anyways, I hope you make it to MITM, with or without the Shelby. It's you guys we want to see, not the car (Okay, we want to see the car too but...). Maybe you could ask your daughter to postpone her wedding for a year so you can get the Shelby fixed :: :: :: ;))... then again maybe not!!! ::

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Wow....I saw "Pony Trails" 2004 flash before my eyes as I read the story! :: ;) (at least I had a trailer) ::

With any luck maybe it'll turn out to be something simple..(think positive) ;) At least you got to make the run...even if it was a PITA! :: :: ::

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Yeah but, I think coolant was the only thing your poor pony didn't leak that day! ::

As long as you make it home in one piece, all is good!

I'm still convinced you faked the whole thing to get into a Saleen! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
:eek: .....If I'd have known how much stress and grief was involved...think I'd have rethought out my plan! ;) :: Oh well they won't be needing to re-oil those roads for awhile.. :: :: ::

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
they won't be needing to re-oil those roads for awhile
Did that myself once. I changed the oil filter and did not look to see if the rubber seal came off with the old filter and put the new one on.Boom went the seal right in the middle of waiting for a light on Stark and 122nd in Portland, Not only did the inside of my car fill up with smoke from the oil landing on the exhaust the street was freshly oiled for the City of Portland at no charge to them. :: :: Oh the good days of working on your stang in the middle of a parking lot on your way to school,2 blocks from a auto parts store. ::

Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts