Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my Hot Rod Air cooling fan this evening. Went in fine, except I had to modify the brackets, as I have a three row radiator, and they were apparently designed for the stock two-row. I'm stumped on the air conditioner connections. I have an 85 5.0L with the serpentine modern compressor. The HRA fan unit has two wires, and I have two wires going to the plug on the compressor. How do I connect these. I know one compressor wire is black with green strip. I guess I'll have to call Hot Rod Air in the morning, unless someone on VMF knows.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I too had to install some spacers for the brackets. I went and purchased some 1/4 national fine threaded standoffs (1") to use with my 4 row radiator.

The wiring for the A/C compressor is for a 12 volt clutch signal. The two wires that run over tot he A/C compressor are ofr 'input' and 'output' for the old York style compressor. One of the wires on your newer compressor should be switched 12 volts, and it should be at 12 volts when you turn on the a/C and the compressor is running. If I were you, I would call Hot Rod air, as well as measure the voltages at both wires when the A/C compressor is on. Good luck...

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12535662&p=46267978&Sequence=1.jpg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts