Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 428 Q-Code with C6. When cold it starts no problem but when hot, the starter does not crank at all. It might crank it over about 10 degrees if that. Eventually a 10 degree crank will get a start, so the actual engine is very easy to start but the starter motor will not crank. I have replaced the starter motor with a new unit and checked the leads to no avail. I have also put insulation around the starter motor to protect it from the heat. Anyone from the hotter states have any ideas? I am from Australia so it can be hot here in the summer, over 100F, but the problem even happens at 85F
Thanks

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Try two thongs...an extra ground wire from the starter and secondly, try installing a heat shield in addition to the insulation to create a barrior (you may have to fab one up yourself.

·
Registered
680 Posts
John: Does the starter Relay mounted on the inner fender get hot? I had lots of problems with starters on my 460. I replaced 3 relays, before I found a heavy duty relay that would work. I also went to a car stero shop, and had them make me some monster cables for the battery. Then,I bought the high dollar battery terminals that the shop sells for the high powered streo systems. Terminals were very expensive, but, this solved my problems...
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I might have to try that "Two Thongs" thing for my next problem! ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jeff
The insulation I installed was heat insulation, not electrical. I will try an extra earth wire but I don't understand why the starter cranks the engine very well on cold start, but virtually nothing when hot. The problem is only when hot. The extra cable is easy to install so will give it a go.
Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fordnut
That was to be my next trick. I have not touched the relay to see if it is hot or not but everything in the engine bay gets hot in a 428 when the outside temp is +90F . I now have a can of instant freeze (used in electronics fault finding) so the next time it happens I will give the relay an instant freeze to see if it fixes the problem. I have ordinary cables and terminals (maybe original ??) so that is another move.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Stuart
I had a look at the FE Ford Forum and found some discussion of exactly my problem. No definite answers there but lots of suggestions on terminals and cables (both earth return and +ve), so will go down that path.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
When I have that problem in my CJ, first I pump the gas twice (like I'm cold starting it), then I hold the pedal to the floor (like I'm starting it flooded) while turning the ignition to start--works every time. This isn't addressing the problem, which doesn't happen very often for me (just a weekend cruiser), but the car does start when hot at the gas station or where ever like this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts