Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get things working as they should in my 67 coupe. Got all lights working except emergency flashers and dome light. Put in cig lighter as it didn’t have one and it did not work. Checked fuse and it was blown. Put in new fuse turned key and fuse blew again. I heard a clicking from emergency flasher right before fuse blew. I unplugged flasher put in new fuse and turned key fuse did not blow and cig lighter had power to charge my phone. I thought new flasher and I’m good.... picked one up today and fuse blew again.

Im not too familiar with wiring and it doesn’t look like the last owner was either because there are wires all over the place lol.

My first in probably a series of questions is:

* when I put a test light on each wire connection to emergency flasher I have power to one of the wires with key on I checked my signal flasher and I have same result

Is that supposed to be?

* when I check ohms on the emergency flasher one connection the needle jumps entire range the other connection nothing. On the signal flasher both connections the needle jumps entire range.

Is this supposed to happen?

Where do I start looking for my problem? I went to fuse box and I see wire bundle leaving fuse box then heading in all directions.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
You SHOULD have power to the hazard flasher at all times. From the flasher, the other wire goes into the hazard switch, mounted to the turn signal switch in the steering column, and interacts with the brake and turn signal circuits. If the brake lights and turn signals are working properly, I'd suspect the hazard switch, itself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You @Woodchuck

I was thinking as I was driving this morning the only lights that did work when I got car in October were the headlights and the emergency flashers. I put in a new signal switch in and then the emergency flashers didn't work. I'm wondering if I pinched a wire or something when I put the steering wheel back on. Going to pull that when I get home and see if this is a self inflicted issue...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
It sounds like you might have located the problem yourself. If a fuse blows with the key on position, something in that circuit is going to directly to ground. If you don't have a wiring diagram, get one. You should have 2 flashers in your circuit: one for turn signals and one for emergency signals. My 66 has the lighter and four way flasher both getting power from the back of the ignition switch (12 volts all the time). The turn signal switch only has power when the key is on whereas the 4 way portion is hot all the time. An FYI, my signal flasher is under the dash next to the steering column and 4 way is over by the glove box. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,403 Posts
Sounds like you should add a year specific wiring diagram to your shopping list too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts