Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe 289
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend someone in the Houston area that’s reputable that can rustproof my 67 coupe? I’m having it shipped from spending its life in California, and I know this is probably the first thing I need to do. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Good paint, keeping it out of the sun, parked on concrete or asphalt instead of on dirt or grass, rust should be no problem in Houston, right?

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
That's a common misconception about "Texas cars". The Gulf of Mexico is only 40-50 miles from the Houston area and rust thrives on the early Mustangs.
"I see," said the blind man.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
683 Posts
Rust proofing is done to a new car or restored/repaired car. If the car is one of these then sure rust proof it, if not you will most likely encapsulate existing rust and give it a nice home to grow.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe 289
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rust proofing is done to a new car or restored/repaired car. If the car is one of these then sure rust proof it, if not you will most likely encapsulate existing rust and give it a nice home to grow.
My plan is to try to repair and remove any existing rust, then rust proof it. Is that not realistic?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Totally realistic. I just wanted to point out that covering rust without fixing the area is not the way to go if you are wanting to do it right. I have seen way to many cars with the rust just covered up which just causes larger rust issues.

·
Premium Member
11,764 Posts
That's a common misconception about "Texas cars". The Gulf of Mexico is only 40-50 miles from the Houston area and rust thrives on the early Mustangs.
we are only 30 air miles from the pac ocean in los angeles. only cars within 5 miles of the ocean exibit rust. we get santa anna winds too. when i worked as a commercial electrician we had to use air tight conduit but only up to 2 miles in from the ocean air. i also lived in houston and rust is not a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts