Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my next project is undercoating.... but i am not too sure on what to use or the best way to undercoat (this is my first restoration).
My car is assembled and i do not have a lift. any suggestions on paint/ procedures?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that does look good. is there any way to brush it or anything similar on or does it have to be done by spray gun? I have one but i thought it might be easier to brush on since all i can do is get my car up on jacks and crawl under.

·
Registered
12,188 Posts
I can't remember if I used bedliner, or rubberized undercoating. I think it was the latter (And it might be hte same thing). looks real nice, goes on easy!

·
Registered
836 Posts
that does look good. is there any way to brush it or anything similar on or does it have to be done by spray gun? I have one but i thought it might be easier to brush on since all i can do is get my car up on jacks and crawl under.
not sure about all but i know a lot of them can be rolled up using (i'm pretty sure a regular) paint roller. it will say on the kit wether or not it can be rolled on. I sprayed mine on with the car on jack stands....... very nasty but worth it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked into the bedliners a little bit and although they turn out great, i don't know if it's quite what I'm looking for. everything about them is great- except for the amount of time and labor they take to do properly. are there any other alternatives that are simpler to apply and prep for? The bedliner seems a little tricky without the use of a car lift, and remember my car is assembled as well, not just a shell

·
Registered
562 Posts
Duplicolor make rattle cans of the Pickup Bed Liner coating. I have had good results applying a double coat. It seals seams and has a good look when dry. I have moved away from the spray undercoatings due to the mess among other things.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I once undercoated an 85 Chevy with the rattle-can rubberized undercoating. It looked really nice once dry, but holy crap it was messy. It also took a LOT of cans. I think I probably used in the vicinity of 12-15, and that was one coat.

Obviously a Mustang is smaller, but you get the picture.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Here's the cheap easy way IF you have an air compressor. Get a gallon can of undercoating or bed liner. Buy one of those cheap suction type sand blasters (about $30). Stick the tube into the undercoating can and spray away. Clean the blaster by sucking paint thinner through it until it runs clean (you can recycle the paint thinner). Practice on a piece of cardboard.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
after sandblasting the whole sheebang with 200 lbs of 00 I recently did my wheel wells and floor boards and easlily went thru 8 cans of 3M rubberized undercoating from walmart. the car will never see bad weather so its good enuf imdo

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I do have a queston about using bed liner.
I used the rubberized cans that Wal-Mart sells with the thinking of it being flexable. Anotherwords, it a rock flys up inside the wheel well, rubberized will take a blow and not chip.
How do the bedliners hold up to chips and stones hitting it?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I used Eastwood's Rubberized Undercoating, sprayed it on with great results. Used it in the wheelwells and behind the fenders and valences. I didn't want to cover the entire undercarriage.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I used this on my (new 04) F150 with great results.
Did the underside of body, bumper-to-bumper.
Rusfree Black Rubberized Spray On Undercoating - RUS1020F6
You'll need this applicator gun and a compressor to shoot it.
If you have any other cars to do, it's worth owning.
Rusfre Mitey Bee Gun - RUS1020F6
This seems expensive, but the stuff goes really far,
$18. for a gallon= 6+ aerosol cans.
If you do get the Rusfre stuff, warm the gallon, and shake the sh** out of it prior to using.

If you don't want to go the gun route,
I'd get 3M...better quality, than anything you'll get at Walmart.
3M 03584 Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
How many cans would you guys suggest of rattle can to do everything including undercarriage? 20+ for 2 coats? I know I'm never going to paint myself (never say never) so can't really get myself to invest in the guns etc...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know there are a lot of opinions on undercoat, the reason I didn't go with it is due to the number of horror stories where the undercoat trapped water and rusted out the pan. Maybe this is with older rust proofer.
I spayed the entire underside of the car with POR15, 3 coats followed by the bedliner (following instructions from both POR and SEM to make sure it would adhere properly). We'll find out how well it holds up in a few years of daily driving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts