Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what this valve sound might be. Or how concerned I should be, at least.

My guess is it’s coming from a valve on cylinder #3.

Cylinder 5 also has a valve sound but is much quieter than the one in the video and couldn’t be heard on a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the valve cover off.
The 3rd cylinder rocker arm bolt was tight but turned another 1/8th turn to get it to proper torque. All other bolts were properly torqued.

The pictures show the bent thin metal between 3 and 4. Not sure how it bent and I wouldn’t think anything would contact it. Possibly contacting the spring on the rocker arm shaft...
I just slightly bent it back and checked for clearance between valve springs with a flathead screwdriver.

You think that was it?
What would you check from here? (I’m a big noob if you can’t tell...)
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
I would cut out a piece of cardboard to go between the springs and where the valve cover sits (to keep the oil from going everywhere) and then crank the engine again. See what it sounds like now.

Take another video...

Allen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would cut out a piece of cardboard to go between the springs and where the valve cover sits (to keep the oil from going everywhere) and then crank the engine again. See what it sounds like now.

Take another video...

Allen
Thanks for the advice. Yep no more valve sounds.

Any idea what would have caused that bend in the first place?

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Took the valve cover off.
The 3rd cylinder rocker arm bolt was tight but turned another 1/8th turn to get it to proper torque. All other bolts were properly torqued.

The pictures show the bent thin metal between 3 and 4. Not sure how it bent and I wouldn’t think anything would contact it. Possibly contacting the spring on the rocker arm shaft...
I just slightly bent it back and checked for clearance between valve springs with a flathead screwdriver.

You think that was it?
What would you check from here? (I’m a big noob if you can’t tell...)
Thanks!

I'd guess it got bent by the PCV baffle on the underside of the valve cover.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts
you know you can start the car with the VC off and look around and see whats what
you can also probe around with a piece of garden hose to you ear to pin point it

Reactions: Fitch
1 - 11 of 11 Posts