Vintage Mustang Forums banner

How Best to Sell a Disassembled '67 Mustang Coupe

1614 41
Several years ago, I purchased a running '67 coupe, anticipating restoring it after I retired. I'm now five years past retirement, and the work completed so far is:
  • disassembly of the entire vehicle
  • paint the entire vehicle the original color (Ceridian?) - looks like a robin's egg blue to me
  • replaced entire suspension with rack and pinion front end from Rod and Custom Motorsports and new leaf springs in the back (with an extra leaf added)
  • added frame stiffeners (the paint & body shop welded them in for me, and touched up various other welds they thought could use it)
  • installed an 9" 8.25 rear end
  • installed 4-wheel disc brakes (single calipers) with five new BF Goodrich Radial TA P225/60R15 tires on new aluminum rims
  • installed a crate 302 engine w/4 bbl that dyno'd out at 300 hp. (sold the original 200 c.i. to a guy building a "Scoobie Doo" van)
  • purchased new/replacement parts for virtually everything else (CJ Pony, Summit Racing, a few other vendors) including interior carpet and panels, console (which will hold a double DIN radio), dash, door panels, etc., instrument cluster from Dakota Digital, a/c from Classic AutoAir, keyless entry and power windows, seat heaters, pulleys from March, Lokar throttle and the list goes on and on
  • have NOT purchased the radiator, windshield, steering wheel, drive shaft (I did keep the original C4 3-spd transmisson - best one to ever come out of Detroit, but needs rebuilding) and likely some other parts I can't remember

All that said, it's become obvious that the odds of me actually getting it road worthy are getting worse by the year, because other projects are taking higher priority. I would love to get back what I've got in it so far ($40k+) but doubt that will happen. What advice would the readers of this forum give me for getting this potentially really nice ride into the hands of someone who can reassemble Humpty Dumpty so that it will turn heads?
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Post lots of pics, especially in the typical problem areas for the place you use to sell it.
If at all possible, get the engine running

Reactions: iamdiffrnt1

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Advertise it exactly like you just wrote it up, with detailed pics of everything, as well as pics of the build process if you have them. You already know you're going to take a hit on it, it's just how much of it you can recoup at this point. Good luck with the sale

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Huge hit on disassembled project cars, be prepared,……..

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,212 Posts
I would love to get back what I've got in it so far ($40k+) but doubt that will happen.
This is not going to happen. Accept that now or finish the project.

I also don't see how you have $40k sunk already.

I would get it drivable and then try to sell.

But I also understand abandoning a project. It happens.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hate to bear bad news, but: You’re going to take a bath on this project.

~$30k can buy a very, very nice running and restored ‘67 coupe. I saw a springtime yellow, black interior 390/4sp coupe sell for $35k last year on Hemings.

Your best way forward is to get it running, then attempt to sell, as a running project. We’ll help you along if you decide that path.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
The reverse Johnny Cash, sell it one piece at a time to get the max back?
Otherwise, youve already bent over and took it now bite a bullet then eat it:) Youve got a roller and a load of parts needing how much more work to drive? Money or hours"
Get it to a bare int. driver minimum and hope someone loves the color.

·
Premium Member
15,354 Posts
It sounds to me like the car is at least a roller.

• replaced entire suspension with rack and pinion front end from Rod and Custom Motorsports and new leaf springs in the back
  • added frame stiffeners (the paint & body shop welded them in for me)
  • installed an 9" 8.25 rear end
  • installed 4-wheel disc brakes (single calipers) with five new BF Goodrich Radial TA P225/60R15 tires on new aluminum rims
  • installed a crate 302 engine w/4 bbl
At this point it may be worth the cost of having somebody at least get it moving and stopping under it's own power when it comes to maximizing your sale price.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is not going to happen. Accept that now or finish the project.

I also don't see how you have $40k sunk already.

I would get it drivable and then try to sell.

But I also understand abandoning a project. It happens.
Advertise it exactly like you just wrote it up, with detailed pics of everything, as well as pics of the build process if you have them. You already know you're going to take a hit on it, it's just how much of it you can recoup at this point. Good luck with the sale
To give you some numbers:
  • Purchase of original, running vehicle (drove it 45 miles to my home): $8,000
  • Purchase of engine: $4,500
  • Paint, repairs of rusted areas, welding of frame stiffeners, patches, etc. $15,000
  • Purchase of replacement parts (CJ Pony, only included here): $16,000
Total of the above: $43,500

Doesn't include purchases from Classic Auto Air, Summit, or other vendors, so, yeah, over $40k. My intent is/was to replace virtually everything but the skeleton with new parts. The cosmetics were completely shot, so an entire interior was in order. I wanted to upgrade the steering system and brakes, and add LED lighting over factory bulbs. The trim around all the glass pieces was badly pitted. I knew going in that it wouldn't be cheap.

And if I could get it running and driveable, I sure wouldn't be trying to sell it, would I? I just don't think I have the necessary time to get it to that point, but someone younger with ability just might.

Reactions: hotrodfords

·
Registered
43,938 Posts
To give you some numbers:
  • Purchase of original, running vehicle (drove it 45 miles to my home): $8,000
  • Purchase of engine: $4,500
  • Paint, repairs of rusted areas, welding of frame stiffeners, patches, etc. $15,000
  • Purchase of replacement parts (CJ Pony, only included here): $16,000
Total of the above: $43,500

Doesn't include purchases from Classic Auto Air, Summit, or other vendors, so, yeah, over $40k. My intent is/was to replace virtually everything but the skeleton with new parts. The cosmetics were completely shot, so an entire interior was in order. I wanted to upgrade the steering system and brakes, and add LED lighting over factory bulbs. The trim around all the glass pieces was badly pitted. I knew going in that it wouldn't be cheap.

And if I could get it running and driveable, I sure wouldn't be trying to sell it, would I? I just don't think I have the necessary time to get it to that point, but someone younger with ability just might.
I "feel" for you. I've owned mine for 22 years and it's only been driveable about 5 of those. If you're going to try and sell as a "disassembled project" be prepared to get about 25 cents back on your dollar and not including the value of your time expended already. When you think about the possible loss of $20k or more the thought of spending another $10k to get it finished might not sound too bad, eh?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I "feel" for you. I've owned mine for 22 years and it's only been driveable about 5 of those. If you're going to try and sell as a "disassembled project" be prepared to get about 25 cents back on your dollar and not including the value of your time expended already. When you think about the possible loss of $20k or more the thought of spending another $10k to get it finished might not sound too bad, eh?
I'd go higher than $10k if I could find someone to do it locally. Anyone know a reputable shop that could do a reassembly in Evansville, IN?

Reactions: swooshdave

·
Registered
1965 Coupe C-Code
3,212 Posts
Pictures of the current state would help.

There a car on BaT that the seller says they have $450k into it. Currently bid is $125k.

So it could be worse.:oops:

You’ll be able to find a buyer, it all just comes down to how much you can stomach to lose.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The car sounds like you did it right with quality parts. With that said, clean solid running 67-68 coupes for the most part can be had from 25k-35k with even some desirable J or S codes falling in that range. I saw a nice J code coupe survivor a month ago for 16k. Really neat car.

You’re gonna take a loss so maybe identify how much your willing to lose. I think you could maybe sell as is not complete for 16k-20k since you have a new engine, body/paint and a lot of new parts installed etc. You may be able to part it out and get more.

If your not willing to lose $X amount then you may just have to finish and enjoy it or part it. It sounds like you are in the home stretch and probably won’t take much more to finish it.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here are some current state pics. The one pic shows the rollaround shelves I built to hold the large items (hood, trunk lid, fenders, both doors and miscellaneous painted parts safely out of the way until they are needed.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Bunk bed Furniture Shelf Wood Shelving

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If there are other pics you want to see, describe the angle/content and I'll do my best.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Last year there was a failed project coupe nearby. $17,000 was spent on paint & body, Opentracker full roller suspension, rear disc brake kit, rebuilt wide ratio Toploader, strong running 302 (rebuilt heads, good compression and good oil pressure), no interior. It was about 90% there parts-wise, but the fenders, hood, etc. needed to be put on, engine installed, and so on. $4,000 bought it.

Reactions: mike657894
1 - 20 of 42 Posts