Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends

I am attempting to mount a remote GT mirror in my fastback. The mirror is mounted to the car body and I see the half dollar size hole where the toggle and wires will pass thru the door skin. But my standard door panels have no cut out or indication where to mount.

Can anyone provide any tips ? I;m guessing just, make a cardboard template transfer hole to back of press board panel and use chrome plate to mark drill holes on the back side.

then the agony on how to figure the three cable moment. Hope I still have that diagram somewhere............

·
Registered
560 Posts
When I ordered my replacement mirror, it came with instructions that listed mounting dimensions on the door, and on the inner door panel. They might be available online.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here's a copy of the mirror placement instruction sheet from Ford. When I bought my new SD Repro GT Mirror it came with a similar paper template. I'll have to look to see if I still have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you locate it on the door, and before you drill, make sure your vent window will still swing open and clear it.
thanks All ready done and fine!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a copy of the mirror placement instruction sheet from Ford. When I bought my new SD Repro GT Mirror it came with a similar paper template. I'll have to look to see if I still have it.
Thanks Garth

I see that a 1 and 3/8 inch hole is not dimensioned from edges of each of the panels edges . I should just make a template on the metal door and transfer to the back of the panel. That would be my estimated area for drilling a tiny hole.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
My reproduction door panels had a round hole scored for knockout on the back side and you would just make an X incision then trim around the vinyl leaving a little at the edges for the remote

·
Registered
463 Posts
Attached are several pictures of copies of my original Ford Instruction Sheets to which I added dimensions a couple years ago in answering a similar question.

As far as pictures, there should be a lot "out there" as this was a very common Accessory item in 1965 and 1966, as well as the Driver's side Remote Mirror being part of the "Visibility Group" Factory Option in 1966.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It should look like this when you are done...

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Attached are several pictures of copies of my original Ford Instruction Sheets to which I added dimensions a couple years ago in answering a similar question.

As far as pictures, there should be a lot "out there" as this was a very common Accessory item in 1965 and 1966, as well as the Driver's side Remote Mirror being part of the "Visibility Group" Factory Option in 1966.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you Bob

your drawings help a great deal. I did make a template , transfer it and cut a hole using a hole saw bit. Did all that before I saw your drawings DOH! Then noting that its just not a small toggle that will poke thru the door panel its a approx 1" hole to make room for the barrel....... I thought the chrome cover was a just a cover plate when I looked closer and found otherwise.

Your dims show that there is a forward lean to the screw holes I have not yet cut.

But my next question would anyone know what end is up? I note the cable design is a three cable system. One of the cable posts welds on one of the plates long ends....the other two cables weld into the opposite long end.

Does the single cable mount sky upwards? I have removed and reattached the cables log ago. The colors are lost on the cables. So no matter how I move this toggle in some direction... the reaction is illogical.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should look like this when you are done...

Hey Tony!

thanks for the photo. !

But my next question would anyone know what end is up? I note the cable design is a three cable system. One of the cable posts welds on one of the plates long ends....the other two cables weld into the opposite long end.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thank you Bob

your drawings help a great deal. I did make a template , transfer it and cut a hole using a hole saw bit. Did all that before I saw your drawings DOH! Then noting that its just not a small toggle that will poke thru the door panel its a approx 1" hole to make room for the barrel....... I thought the chrome cover was a just a cover plate when I looked closer and found otherwise.

Your dims show that there is a forward lean to the screw holes I have not yet cut.

Does the single cable mount sky upwards? I have removed and reattached the cables log ago. The colors are lost on the cables. So no matter how I move this toggle in some direction... the reaction is illogical.
SDee if the attached might help.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SDee if the attached might help.

Bob
Thanks again Bob .. It just says attach with control assembly "top"? so Funny so un specific. I will just try single cable on top and guess it ~

Thx!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"But my next question would anyone know what end is up?"

The easiest way to find that out is to move the mirror switch before you screw it in..... DOH!

Sometimes the best answers are the simplest....!

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
"But my next question would anyone know what end is up?"

The easiest way to find that out is to move the mirror switch before you screw it in..... DOH!

Sometimes the best answers are the simplest....!

Tony K.
DOH! Okay tony .....so I have tested the move which if I push to a non cable connected location seems to change illogically, I did remove the cables with needle nose pliers a long time ago then reattach and gave up. Memory fades and now attempting to guess which cable pushes up or down etcc...

I also notice I cant separate the cables from the control housing. Now how do I get the housing on one side of the panel and the cables thru the back side of the panel?

the mirror is mounted long ago and memory fails. Is it required to disconnect the cables from the Mirror?

this sorta answers my own question

https://www.cjponyparts.com/skin/frontend/cj-pony/default/images/install-pdf/install_me19l.pdf

thx

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
"Is it required to disconnect the cables from the Mirror?"

Yes, but only one end.

You have to disconnect the cables from the "Control Switch" end.. then you can pull out the whole mirror assembly.

Also, In digging through my files, I found a pic of the Control Switch correctly mounted on the "Pony Interior" Door panel as well. See pic below:

Tony K.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts