Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PCV sucks up oil and I know its the PCV because I disconnected it, revved the engine, and no more smoke, is there a way to fix this, like a filter on the PCV or someting like that. My valve cover is baffled, but that does not seem to help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't understand what you mean when you say "no more smoke". Are you saying you disconnected the PCV and there was no more smoke out the exhaust?

I can't really imagine that you could suck enough oil past the PCV to see smoke out the back. ??

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
maybe get a windage tray....or check your baffle to see if it indeed has one for the PCV fitting.....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
This is how I fixed mine, Go to AutoZOne or similar shop and buy a oil cap woth the PCV fitting int the top it will stop sucking oil after that

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Not true 66stangFb.
it is not a breather cap. It has no vents in it. It is strictly for putting a PCV valve in the top of it.
I was sucking oil at the rate of 1 quart per 100 miles.with my new Cobra 429 valve covers. The baffles were to close to the PCV valve and ran Parrelle with the top. After I put this on it quit sucking oil in to the PCV valve.
This is different than a breaherr cap I have one of those on the other Valve cover.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its off to autozone I go, and there is no windage tray made for 6 cyliners, FYI /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
522 Posts
It is definitely possible to send smoke out the back if the pcv sucks it up, as that was happening on mine. We just disconnected it and are running 2 breather caps. The oil still comes out of those like crazy, but I have non-baffeled valve covers. I may try to make a baffle in them, but I am not sure if it would work or not. I have a sock wrapped around the base of the breather caps right now to stop oil from getting everywhere, but it doesn't help with oil consumption. They make baffled grommets that are solid rubber with the exception of tiny little slits on the bottom of them to let air out. I tried those, but the problem I found was they are not a tight fit around the circumference of the grommet. Good luck, and if you find a clever solution, post it.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
WOW, glad to see a post on this. I have the same problem and have tried several things to fix it. I saw a few guys at a auto show that had the canister style pcv's and wondered if the sucking oil thing was the reason. I'll give it a try.

I also talked with a mechanic today who had the same problem on his 351 and he didn't have the baffled valve covers.

Anyway, I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all you have to do is back out the pcv valve about 1 to 2 inches and hook it up to a short sleeve(hard rubber or metal) and insert the sleeve into the grommet in the valve cover..make sure it's a tight fit so there will be no air leaks...worked like a charm for me. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts