Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what am i looking for in the vin that will show me with out running a marti report. also where are the GT badges. this car was in a bad acident and i wont get it unless it is a true gt which i real think it might be but i need to know what to look for

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can't tell from the VIN. Need a peek at the buck tag. The GT's had grill-mounted fog lamps, power front disc brakes, dual exhaust 2" with GT tips, stlyed steel wheels with GT caps and F70x14 Firestones, The GT pop open gas cap, handling package, and GT emblems. As the other posts said it is tough to tell excert for the obvious like, "Say aren't those drum brakes up front? Hum...

·
Registered
890 Posts
The GT badges (emblems) will be on both front fenders. But, if the front end was trashed in an accident, I doubt you will find them there anymore. And, then again, anyone could have replaced the original 289 badges with GT. Get a Marti report.....And, I will have to disagree with previous posts, the only way Marti can determine the original origin is with the VIN as you can see here, http://www.cougarclub.org/atsotc/firstGTmarti.html

·
Registered
776 Posts
There is no way to determine if a car is a GT through the vin #. The GT package was an option.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
The VIN can't tell if it is a GT, but Marti does need the VIN to run the report. So you can't tell if its a GT from the VIN, but you do need the VIN to tell if its a GT!

If you're sure the VIN is correct, unless you've got the original invoice, buck tag (which I don't think were even on San Jose cars) or build sheet, Marti is the only way to tell if its a factory GT.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Didn't the GT's have a gas cap that said GT?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Didn't the GT's have a gas cap that said GT?
Yes on my 68 GT390 it has the Pop Open GT Gas Cap

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
As stated previously, the VIN can only tell you if it was not a factory GT. For 67 the GT package was available with any V8, including the 289 2v "C" code motor. If the fifth character of the VIN is a "T" that means the car originally came with a 6 cylinder motor and the GT package would not be available from the factory on a 6. The tilt-away steering was a stand alone option available on any 67. The pop off gas cap was only available as part of the exterior decor group, or the mid year sprint options, again a stand alone option available on any 67 though the combination of the exterior decor group and the GT package would result in the "GT" emblem on the cap. The styled steel wheels were also a stand alone option and do not signify a GT. Short of documentation available from the original owner, a Marti Report is the only definitive way to confirm a factory GT in 67.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts