Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to look at a 65 fastback in a few hours and the owner states the car is a real GT but does not have original engine. when looking at the car, how can i tell if it truly is a real GT?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just did the same thing,only a coupe,it has to be a A or K code,under the rear seat where the dual exhaust brakets are theat area has extra supports,large masterc ccylinder/proportioning valve/4 piston disc brakes,larger front sway bar ,punch outs in the radiator support for the fog lights-not drilled, special code on the steering box for quick steering,rear valance cut outs,good luck

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
It will need to be either A code or K code. Not produced untill Feb of 65. Look for the steering box tag HCC-AX or HCC-AW, Sway bar is 13/16", 4 piston disc brakes on the front.Reinforced exhaust hangers behind the rear seats. no quarter panal trim on the scoop. It will have a five dial cluster. Hope that helps. The only real way is with the original paper work when bought new. I got lucky when I bought mine It had all the documentation from the day it was ordered.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If the car has the buck tag under the hood it should have PI or PIO on it for Performance Image Option.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
only the 65-66 K got the 9" and that was part of the hipo package not the GT package.
Yep.

Only one year was this different. The 68 J code GT got a 9", while non-GT J codes did not.

Here's a good look at the rear seat reinforcing plates. The paint has been removed from them during rust repair:

·
Registered
35,866 Posts
The one sure indicator I did not see mentioned in the sites of the previous post is this: the factory GT used the same rear end as the K Code and the snubber plate above the differential has square corners.
No. Only the K code had the 9". The pinion snubber was bolted to the floor on 8" cars, and hits a lip on the pinion housing. On the 9" cars, there was a larger plate welded to the floor, and the snubber was bolted to a large bracket on the pinion housing. The 9" floor plate is available new.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
.... the snubber plate above the differential has square corners.
Here's photo of an "A" code GT's snubber plate which my factory GT has. My 6 cylinder Sprint 200 & "C" code FB both have the round corner plate. Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts