Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 200ci inline six that came out of my 68 coupe. i was thinking about making a little custom toy with it but i dont know if it need machine work. it has 76k on it. when it was in the car it smoked but thats because the rings were cracked (in 2 pieces). what i was thining about doing was new bearing and new rings. but will i need to bore it. is there any way i can tell my self with out going to a machine shop

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well, I am not a machinist, and don't know a lot but. If I had my engine out and stripped down, I would take it to a machine shop to get hot tanked and cleaned to make sure all sludge and dirt has been removed before rebuilding it. At the same time the machinist can check the cylinders for cracks and or scoring. I would think that you would at least want to hone the cylinders so that the new rings have something they can seat to. I am sure someone else will either confirm this or offer other advice.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the engine is striped down the block was cleand not hot tanked but i spent 3 day cleaning it with degreaset scrub brushes and a power washer. it is so clean you can eat off it. the only part that isent extreamly clean is the cooling passages. but there is not chunks of any thing in it. i did plan on honing it and cut the ridges off with a reamer

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it has ridges then I would bore it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you have or know someone who has a dial bore gage, you can check each cylinders taper to see if its worn out beyond the limits. Measure more toward the bottom-middle of each cylinder as that area wears more than at the top. This will tell you if you need to bore to the next over-size(besides any scratches or damage to the walls). Otherwise I would let a machine shop evaluate the block before you spend any money on a block that you may not be able to bore again if its already at its limits. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If your only expecting a year of service out of it, and if you want to drive the car during that year. I would do what every you can at home, slap it together and drive it. Knock the ridge down, hone the cylinders, bolt it back to gether and drive while your getting your 289 together. At least you'll be able to keep it on the road and keep everything else working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts