Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my biggest fears for some unfounded reason. Just so I know. . .then I can conquer this fear!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When the last notch in the belt can no longer be used. Its a common problem when you get older. Most of us just get longer belts (and pants to match). Those of more vain go for liposuction.

For the car, replace them every two years whether they need it or not. They are cheap.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
lol...

belts these days last a LONG time.....

first signs are cracking (on the v-side) and layers soming apart

why not just replace them? good brands are gates and goodyear

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Waist belt - reference Mr. Mike
Fan Belt - reference Shark Mouth
Seat Belt - if your in your seat after the 'event'...they didn't need to be replaced

·
Registered
313 Posts
I love these responses! I'm not too good at making up funnies, so let me just throw an FYI at you.

If you decide to replace your belts, here is a little tip for you. Ther are basically 2 common types of automotive V-belts on the market. They are commonly referred to as top cord and center cord belts. Some parts stores, like AutoZone only sell the cheaper center cord belts. Other chains like NAPA offer both grades for you to select from. Just like the name implies, top cord belts have the strength adding cords closer to the top of the belt where the belt is wider. This allows for more cords in the belt. More cords = stronger belt.

So, get yourself some good quality top cord belts and stop worrying. They easily last 2-3 time as long as the center cord belts and you will have fewer problems with stretching and slipage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts