Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machine shop just called.

"Hey nick, what kinda cam are you running in this motor?"
"Crane, 536/545 lift why?"
"Something must be wrong in your geometry, what rockers is that for?"
"1.73s which is what I had on there Brian"
"Nick, there aint no easy way to say this, your heads are all busted up, you got 5 exhaust towers all broken clear down to the bottom of the bolts. I can't figure out how this could have happened with what you say you are running, when were these heads last done?"
"450 miles ago.....it just spun a bearing and blew a head gasket....we ran it for like 30-45 after realizing, could hydro lok or something cause this? Could the valves have floated at some point?"
"No, this problem doesn't have any of the signs of that. Only thing I can think is your pushrods were way off throwing the geometry out"
"hmmmm....do you think it may have been a pre-exsitant problem?"
"I dunno nick, were these raced heavily?"
"when I got the motor it had a tunnel ram..."
"But didn't you tell me you just had these heads gone through less than 500 miles ago?"
"yes"

I could go on but its just upsetting. I just paid good money to have these heads "gone through" and based on what my new machine shop is telling me after 25 minutes on the phone trying to eliminate all possibilities...I am forced to come to the conclussion that the same shop that sold me the wrong pushrods, hosed me on the heads as well.

Long story short if that's possible now.....
Looking at over $1000 for head repairs and Brain himself says he won't do it because they would not be good for anything except a stock motor and certainly not what I am trying to do. So know I have to find some new heads....too bad I just missed a set on ehay for $700 :(

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it really means, is that the guy who sold me the car, didn't just hose me, he REALLY hosed me. And then an incompetant machine shop compounded the facts.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I do have a set of aluminum heads......Ohhhhh, wait! They are attached to my 408 stroker...... :)

(Which I just sold, by the way, and that is why I am looking for a 66-67 Fairlane...Know of one?)

One thing that you can do is have the heads machined for screw in studs, instead of the standard tower style rockers...Might save a few bucks...

Gary.............::

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
So the problem is in those superior C heads huh? :: Seriously, how much easier would this process be in W land? Especially finding a good deal on a set of heads before the snow hits.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Nick, that sucks. I might have a set of 4v closed chamber heads that are extras. I sent you a pm, and will let you know when I get the info on them.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
dont you just LOVE PO's...

·
Registered
971 Posts
are you after a convert or hard top ?
I saw one (vert) other day in mich auto and RV and it wasn't but about 8000 ish, from the pic's is was realy nice and clean.
I give you if you are interested send me a PM and I'll get you the #

·
Registered
310 Posts
That sux.. The only heads I know of have been sitting out side for years and need lots of attention.. :( Guess we were a bit off on our estimates.. really sux dude..

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
I've heard horror stories of machine shops swapping bad heads for good ones. Are you sure these are the same heads you had originally?

Either way, you're in for it, aren't you? Man, I feel bad.

·
Registered
938 Posts
And the word is "buy the car that has the motor already built up..it's cheaper than doing it yourself"...you want to be the poster boy for that statement???

1 - 20 of 40 Posts