Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im just curious. lets say a 65-66 is completely stripped. is there anything that would have indicated if it had power steering versus manual steering?

·
Registered
471 Posts
on the drivers side frame rail near the steering box mount there will be 3 holes for bolts 1 going the same direction as steering box the other 2 on the underside of frame rail they are needed to mount the power assist ram. ::

·
Registered
888 Posts
Assuming the steering box is original to the car, you can check the tag on it. PS boxes were different than standard boxes. Look for an HCC-AX or HCC-AW on the tag. I think those are the power steering boxes for the early cars.

·
Registered
471 Posts
erials is wrong just went to check those numbers on 3 different cars in 65-66 range 1 with power steering 2 without and they all are HCC-AX so the only way you know for sure is a build sheet or the mounting I mentioned before. ::

G

·
0 Posts
erials is wrong just went to check those numbers on 3 different cars in 65-66 range 1 with power steering 2 without and they all are HCC-AX so the only way you know for sure is a build sheet or the mounting I mentioned before. ::
HCC-AX and HCC-AW were the same ratio boxes. Usually the AX box is found on GT's or cars with Handling Package and no P/S, but it is all too common to find either box used in either application. Typically what I have seen is HCC-AX on cars with Handling Package and HCC-AW on P/S cars.

There really is no definitive way to tell that a car came with power steering because it's very easy to add it. The only thing different is the hexagonal holes on the bottom of the frame rail will have threaded crush sleeves in the holes on a power steering car. If the holes don't have the crush sleeves then the car didn't come with P/S. If it has them, it may or may not have.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the steering box tag says
HCC AT
6G2 B
my car is in the backyard and its dark here so i will have to check the holes in the morning.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi Charles,

Do you have pics of the crush sleeves?

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
AT box is NON power Steering. AW is power steering, AX is performance handling package, which is the same gears as a power steering box, but with a (you'll never know the difference) pre load spring.

However, boxes migrate car to car. Check for the 2 holes as mentioned before, with crush nuts (threads) inside them. If they are there, probably had PS.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help guys it was and still is a manual steering car. thankfully. at least the car has 1 thing going for it. i was afraid the po had yanked out the ps and installed manual steering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts