Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've never been able to tell a 64 1/2 to a 65 just by looking. How can you tell just by the exterrior? I just read that 64's have a lip instead of a fold. what the heck does that mean? If any one has pictures that help show the difference or can just explain to me please help well because it will drive me crazy and I will not be able to sleep until I knoe now. I always thought that the 641/2 was exactly like the 65 in every way buy the year.
thanks
chris

If you risk nothing, you Lose everything. C- ya at the finish line.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Well, mechanically the big difference is the '64.5s had generators while the '65s had alternators. This lead to a bunch of electrical differences like steering wheels (horn contacts), headlight switch, regulator, and underdash wiring. There are a lot of interior differences that are subtle. Exterior-wise, you'll have to be sharp to spot the different length in the MUSTANG emblem and the beveled headlight buckets and louvered radiator support.

Hope that helps,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Hey, is your hood folded or lipped?? *G*

There's a little area at the front of the hood that transitions from its side to front at an angle...on the 64.5, the transition edge looks like a lip, pointing straight down, wheras on a 65, it is folded under. I have an original hood on my D-coder and I'll photograph it the next time I have a minute to add it to my archive...

Incidentally, you can pop the hood on a suspected 64.5 and note, in addition to what Dean mentioned, large horns mounted in the engine compartment instead of in front of the radiator support and, if so equipped, you'll note a "D" or "F" in the VIN stamped on the drivers side fender apron....this denotes a 4V 289 or 1V 260, engines unique to the model known as a 64.5....
If you see an "A" or "C" code, you know it's a 65.....neither of these engines were available in the 64.5...

Hope that helps a bit...

Remember, they're all 65's....we just make the deliniation for the sake of our hobby...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
239 Posts
lots of differences i think,
front hood edges,
early falcon dash,
genarator instead of alternator,
front hood bumpers have phillips bolt/screw exposed,
wiper besels are screwed on,
front seat belts held in by hooks,
vents in front of battery tray,
BIG horns,
shorter Mustang on front fenders, to name just a few,
64/5,289,c4,lemans red

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The lipped '64½ hood is a common misconception. Not all '64½ cars received this hood, it was actually the 2nd generation. The 1st generation hood had no lip, just like a '65 hood, but it also had no dimples stamped in the leading underside edge, like the 2nd generation '64½ and the '65 hoods.

I believe the 2nd generation "lipped" hoods began appearing in late April/early May of '64. My 1st generation "non-lipped" hood is date-stamped 4/3/64.

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
As I have only seen one hood as you described (the one on your pace car), what percentage of the 64.5's extant in your experience have this very early unlipped hood?

The SBD on my D-coder is pretty early, April 17, and it has the lipped hood......I'll have to see if the date code matches to determine if it's original or not...

I usually don't venture into the concours arena but this is one area where I may learn something...

Thanks!

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So far, I've seen three: Mine, a late March Convertible, and Bob Fria's 1st coupe (5F07U100002). It's reported that all Pace Cars had this 1st generation hood.

[color:blue]Steve Grant
'64½ Indy 500 Pace Car coupe
</font color=blue> /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572046&a=11947204&p=42951236&Sequence=3.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts