Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How clean does the metal need to be before using epoxy primer on it?

I've seen lots of info about laying down the base coat, saying to wipe down with something like mineral spirits until the rag/towel comes up clean. Is it the same for primer?

I'm asking because after wire wheeling, media blasting, welding, grinding, sanding and blowing off, a one foot square area took about twenty minutes of cleaning to get to the point of a clean rag.

Is primer more tolerant? I've seen lots of pictures in magazines and online (inside the engine bays for example), where primer has been used on areas that didn't look even close to being perfectly clean.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
A good finish depends on good prep work. As mentioned, wipe down with a clean rag and wax & grease remover. It doesn't need to pass a white glove test, but you should get the surface as clean as possible before applying the epoxy primer.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Ditto. Bare metal will wear off onto what you are wiping down. Just 80 grit DA it and I suggest using a waterborn prep cleaner that is alcohol based over a solvent based. If you have any 'glass parts, the solvent can get in the fibers and never come out causing paint to bubble later.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I had it in my head that it had to be 'white glove' clean, and was puzzled how that was possible without spending ridiculous amounts of time cleaning.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
As a final step before spraying, use a tack rag to lightly wipe down all surfaces to remove any junk left from the wax & grease remover routine.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
As a final step before spraying, use a tack rag to lightly wipe down all surfaces to remove any junk left from the wax & grease remover routine.
While blowing with an air gun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts