Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they actually screw them in to the dash with sheet metal screws and [some with] spacers? Or just the dash pad?

I'm going to mount one in my '65 soon.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
They did it into the dash, through the dash pad.

I did not want to screw up my dash pad so I made a Z bracket that connects to the bottom of my tach and goes under the radio/defroster grill and connects to the dash there. It works and looks great. I did bend the bottom edge of the grill a little bit to allow the Z bracket to go under it, but it looks fine from the top. My speaker is long gone so I routed the wires through there as well.

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
the '66 Shelby's were moved thru their assembly line very fast . Four times as many '66's were produced vs. the '65's. Shelby specific parts like the tach were slapped on very quickly. There was the inevitable variable between cars, and ongoing changes as the model year progressed.

For these reasons, there is no one right angle or placement for the tach. Put it where it's angled toward the driver slightly and you can't be wrong.

Here are a couple of photos of my '66 Shelby Mustang GT-350 with the original: dash, dash pad, tach, and tack screws:

Z

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Wow! this site is completely jacked beyond all recondition!

·
Premium Member
13,185 Posts
ha ha. . there you have it, my eyes, and mind are shot ! But the subject says “... ‘How did Shelby American Mount Tach's in '66 Models? ???

Z

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
ha ha. . there you have it, my eyes, and mind are shot ! But the subject says “... ‘How did Shelby American Mount Tach's in '66 Models? ???

Z
Yea! Go figure! A 1966 Shelby gage pod is technically available but I have no idea what that has to do with a 1965. It did remind me to call Speed Hut and order an American made Tachometer and oil pressure gauge for the ABS or fiberglass version, I own both, of the 1965 gauge pod. For when I autocross in 2022? Sigh

·
Registered
840 Posts
the '66 Shelby's were moved thru their assembly line very fast . Four times as many '66's were produced vs. the '65's. Shelby specific parts like the tach were slapped on very quickly. There was the inevitable variable between cars, and ongoing changes as the model year progressed.

For these reasons, there is no one right angle or placement for the tach. Put it where it's angled toward the driver slightly and you can't be wrong.

Here are a couple of photos of my '66 Shelby Mustang GT-350 with the original: dash, dash pad, tach, and tack screws:

Z
Do you have more pictures of the Shelby?

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Did they actually screw them in to the dash with sheet metal screws and [some with] spacers? Or just the dash pad?

I'm going to mount one in my '65 soon.
Yes, there were a couple of sheetmetal screws, and a short piece of steel tube, probably conduit, to keep the bracket from crushing the dash pad.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I caught the 66 title and the 65 car and just figured the OP liked the 66 look better as I do.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a vintage working Faria tach on eBay for an excellent price. [and on a recent post I asked and confirmed how to wire it in...easy and perfect!] I also found a Faria cup on eBay and snatched that rare gem up.

SO, I'm going to install like they did in '66, not like they did in '65. I like the look.

Thank you @22GT @66coupe289 for your valuable replies!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Here are a couple pictures of mine. I did take the mounting bracket that was arched for a steering column and stuck it in a bench vise to flatten it out.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
10,982 Posts
I installed my tach with the left front (closest to driver) dash vent screw instead of making a hole in the pad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts