1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

Looking to do a little project today to reinstall the long-missing
console in my vert.

I remember it being a bitch to get out of the car 3 years ago, but
dont really remember how I did it.

Can anyone tell me how to do this the easiest way?

How do you get the metal bracket under the storage compartment to
attach to the floor, and still have room to slide the thing in?

If I attach it to the plastic first, I dont think I will be able
to get a wrench on the bolts that go into the floor.

Also - how much of the carpeting (new) should I cut away to get
at this metal bracket?

Thanks!

-Zim

G

·
0 Posts
Best to put the console in with the seats out and the bracket already mounted to the floor. You need to just cut a slit where the bolts attach the bracket.

After that, basically you just need to kinda roll the console into place.

Remember that the aftermarket carpet jute is thicker than original and will cause a considerable gap between the shifter base and console.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hi, Nick and I just did this....

Can anyone tell me how to do this the easiest way?

No easy way...Nick got under the car and used a sharp awl to poke up though the holes and though the sound deadner and carpet. Some people heat up a nail to burn through this so you dont snag the carpet with the screw. I lined up the councel up top to get screw locations. Screw go in at a angle so note the angel of the awl. Then put screw in and say a prayer. Do one at a time. This does take a while so dont get flustered ::

How do you get the metal bracket under the storage compartment to attach to the floor, and still have room to slide the thing in?If I attach it to the plastic first, I dont think I will be able to get a wrench on the bolts that go into the floor. Also - how much of the carpeting (new) should I cut away to get at this metal bracket?

This was a tuffy. Locate the screw holes and cut the carpet and deadner to clear the bracket. You can not put the bracket on fisrt. You have to slide it in under the councel and strain a few fingers to get it to work. Nick and I were only able to get one of the screws in :(. I did a search and no one we found accomplished this task so good luck!

One more thing your shifter will not fit correctly with the sound deadner and carpet. We used 3 1/4 washers to shim between the bucket and shifter plate. If you dont you will have about 3/4 inch vertical gap.

Good luck. Dawn

·
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CT. I already had the seats out, and it worked great!
I kenw there had to be an easy way to do it...

By the way - the little light in the storage compartment... what does it
clip to? I cant seem to find any slots that line up...

Thanks!

-Zim

(PS - what - no "wait till you paint the car dammit!!!" comments?) ::

·
Registered
746 Posts
"After that, basically you just need to kinda roll the console into place"

Charles, Nick and I tried every which way to do that roll into place and it did not clear by 1/4 of an inch. We did not want to scrap up our new dash paint job also. Maybe we were just not rolling it at the right angle but we sure tried every one we could think of. Our seats were out also. Take care, Dawn

G

·
0 Posts
The early consoles had the light clipped onto the back wall of the console compartment which snapped into place.

·
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey dawnann...

Like CT said - the trick is to put on the metal bracket first.

Then, with the seats removed (and the shifter handle too...) I put the
whole thing over to where the passenger seat would be, then rotated it up
and over the metal bracket. It went on so easy I feel stupid.

But then again, I usually come away from here feeling stupid... ::

-Zim

·
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
um... a back wall? ::

Now this I have not seen...

Looks like its time to look for another part...

-Zim

G

·
0 Posts
shouldnt be open at the back, there is a square plastic piece that clips in.

G

·
0 Posts
Once you get the front part aligned and in with the brackets, then use a hot nail (I used my cutting torch to heat the nail and a pair of vice grips) to burn through the carpet before drilling holes for the screws for the rest of the installation. That will keep most of the jute from getting wrapped around your drill bit. You can also slide the console aside while drilling since the burn hole is the obvious place to drill. You will most likely have a difficult time matching the previous holes. Use the shortest screws you can, since the fuel line is near there underneath.

G

·
0 Posts
Much easier just to pop holes with a scratch awl and a big hammer. Ford didn't drill the holes either. Every original console car I have seen had indentations around the holes... they were punched not drilled.

The original screws are a #10 chrome oval phillips head about 2 " long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts