Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my drip rails had some nasty stuff hiding under it. Several pinholes, but the roof itself had other problems too. Could be lead-filled but ideally i would change the roof.

anyone know how difficult that would be? How is it secured to the rest of the car? etc etc etc....

Could it be done at home with the right tools?

Thanks,

Gary

(oh, and no i wont make it into a 'vert /forums/images/icons/wink.gif)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Too bad you are not here; right now the shop that did my car is doing that exact process. Several hundred spot welds drilled out of both the donor and recipient cars. Both tops are off right now and the new one will soon be spot welded back.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea how exactly the roof is attached to the rest of the car?

Do the fenders have to be taken off to do it? (im assuming yes)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The rear qtrs have to be unbonded? fro the roof. Basically where the roof meets the quarters has to be exposed. The lead or bondo has to be removed then the spot welds drilled out.
They sanded the whole roof down to the quarters, removed the leading, drilled the spot welds, then used a cutoff tool to cut the area below the spot welds but inside the drip rail area. The roof then peeld off.
They have yet to reattach it, but I'm assuming (you know what they say about that) that the spot welds will be done 1st and then the full welding around the bottom of the spots to seal it. Then they'll grind the welds smooth and loea or bondo the edges till smooth.
As a side note they found the roof supports had no primer or any uncoating at all and was fairly rusty. They sanded and corrolless (sp?) the supports.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, if im reading correctly - they dont need to remove the quarters, just sand down to the area where the roof is spot welded to the quarters (?)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Fenders/Quarters are on the car now. Let me talk to the guy doing it, he maybe will email you or you him and you can ask him. It might take a couple days or so.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you.

Just wanted a rough idea what i would be up against.

Dont know if i'll even be doing it (depends if anyone can ship a roof!)

Thanks,

Gary

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I can check on a roof if you like. They are parting out several cars maybe they have one that otherwise might go to scrap. Freight over there might be kind of expensive though.

G

·
0 Posts
Do a fastback instead! How about a 65 fb roof on your 68! Now that would probably be a first.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Do a fastback instead! How about a 65 fb roof on your 68! Now that would probably be a first.

<hr></blockquote>

..........and a last /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Gary

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Back in the Stone Age when I was in High School I worked in a body shop. Often a car was badly mangled and the shop would do a "rear clip" The donor car would be cut along the floor right through and the A pillars would also be cut. So what you have a the back half of the car and a roof.

The original car is cut in a similar manner and everything is butt welded together. And TA DA! A whole car!

You may try something similar by cutting in the A pillar and C pillar. You could then avoid the spot welds and lead work. That is how they do a top chop anyway....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you suggesting this could be TWO halfs of two cars??!?

How likely is it that it was actually done, and how else could i check it?

Gary

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You could always make it in to a Ronster like the guys at Mustangs Plus.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts