Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my driver's side door on my 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible "drops" a little when opening. How do I correctly realign the door so its opens and closes correctly? What parts do I need and steps to correct this? I keep reading posts about hinges vs repairs kits. Below what I need?

Door Hinge Repair Kit 1965-1967 Thank you! MD

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
If the drop is caused by looseness in the hinge, that's a good idea. Of course, it may just need adjusting.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
988 Posts
Open the door and lift up on the bottom back corner and if there is movement then its the hinges. I had to rebuild mine which I did before painting the car. Once that was done there was no more slop/wiggle when doing the same test.

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
Adjusting is easy. If the front door gap is larger, loosen the upper hinge (while supporting the door with a padded jack) and raise the door slightly, to match the quarter panel. If the rear gap is larger, adjust the lower hinge.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Open the door and lift up on the bottom back corner and if there is movement then its the hinges. I had to rebuild mine which I did before painting the car. Once that was done there was no more slop/wiggle when doing the same test.
Make sure the metal holes are NOT wore out, if so the kit will do you no good.
Thank you I found some videos of what to look for. Next step is to test on the mustang to see what looks to be worn out. Local bodyshop quoted 300 a door so I think I can accomplish this on my own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure the metal holes are NOT wore out, if so the kit will do you no good.
Thank you I found some videos of what to look for. Next step is to test on the mustang to see what looks to be worn out. Local bodyshop quoted $300 a door so I think I can accomplish this on my own (hopefully)

·
Registered
337 Posts
Much easier with fender off.

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
Much easier with fender off.
Even easier than fender removal if you just get a hinge wrench. Adjusting the door takes under an hour with one of these. Support the door with a padded jack to keep it from dropping.

Reactions: Cobra6

·
Registered
337 Posts
Very cool wrench. Even with the right equipment I fear I would still be a hack...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Even easier than fender removal if you just get a hinge wrench. Adjusting the door takes under an hour with one of these. Support the door with a padded jack to keep it from dropping.
Not sure why these old posts are popping up, but - this iis the tool for the job. It was made by Snap-on for Ford, but it was discontinued several years ago. You might run across one on eBay or a garage sale if you are lucky.
The first time I used mine I couldn't believe what a difference ot made. It has the head angled at 38 degrees and fits over the door hinges perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts