Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure while I cant drive the car, I mise well clean it up. Whats the best way to polish a chrome air cleaner, valve covers, monte carlo bar, and export brace? Also, My Edelbrock Alluminum Performer intake has gas stains, like yellowish brown. How do I get them off? Also, My nickle plated (I believe) Holley 650 is dirty. How do I clean it? These are all brand new, just have sat in the garage for a while. Thanks for your help......

G

·
0 Posts
As far as the chrome, Turtle wax make a crome polish and rust remover that I sware by, It will take old rusty chrome and make it look new again. As far as the intake manifold, I have no real good idea. The carb should be pretty easy to use about anything on if you are willing to pull it off and scrub it with a toothbrush. Good Luck, I know the feeling, when ever I am waiting on parts....I polish the wheels...over and over!!!

Sanford

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
ON my alum. intake, I had good luck with an inexpensive Castrol brand purple cleaner. The stuff is real potent, however, so you don't want to spray it on decals, it will take the print right off. I bought a 99 cent spray bottle of cleaner and sprayed it on, let it sit on a warm manifold for about 5 minutes, then used a powerful blast from the garden hose. Came out fine. As for polishing chrome, I've never tried the turle wax, but it makes sense and should leave a nice protective coating. What I use is a product called "neverdull". It can be purchased at auto part stores and truck stops. It is a chemically treated wad of cotton batting that cleans stuff off and polishes, without leaving a residue, like wax will when you can't get it all wiped off. I used this years ago in restoring antique furniture pulls and other old metal pieces. Supposedly, museaums use it on antiques, lamp parts, etc. I read about it in an antique restoration book. good luck!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Never-Dull is awesome stuff. I personally use Mother's Aluminum and Chrome Polish on all my chrome and polished aluminum parts... it's awesome as well!

G

·
0 Posts
You will likely never get the aluminum intake back to as new condition while on the car. If you remove it and bead blast it you can get it back to as new condition. The only real way to keep it look in great shape after that is to have it clear powder coated or Jet Hot coated.

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you can sand blast the intake, it will look perfectly brand new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts