Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten my 65 to the place that I hooked up the battery and she turned over after that Long sleep?
The ignition switch seems to be a bit ruff, and the switches slide badly. After I turned her on the dash lights stayed on
after the switch was off. What should I use to clean and lube ignition switch?
I have WD-40 will it work. Oh what's a good way to hold the battery down in my 65?
Next task install new hard line to tank and new tank install.....

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
The ignition switch is pretty cheap to replace but the contacts would clean up well with a small wire brush or a brown scotch brite pad and maybe a little spray of electrical contact cleaner or perhaps a sprinkle of baking soda and a couple drops of vinegar. Dry well. A couple drops of 3 n 1 oil on the key will be good for the lock cylinder.

Reactions: kenash

·
Premium Member
13,182 Posts
all the ábove except I would use powered graphite on the key for the ignition cylinder. Any liquid oil will attract dust and grit, things seldom desired

Z

·
Registered
546 Posts
I used Deoxit 5F on my crunchy light switch that had been sitting 33 years, it now operates smoothly.

The F is for electric faders and provides a little lubrication to contacts the slide. So far very happy.

Gregg

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
I have gotten my 65 to the place that I hooked up the battery and she turned over after that Long sleep?
The ignition switch seems to be a bit ruff, and the switches slide badly. After I turned her on the dash lights stayed on
after the switch was off. What should I use to clean and lube ignition switch?
I have WD-40 will it work. Oh what's a good way to hold the battery down in my 65?
Next task install new hard line to tank and new tank install.....
View attachment 739076 View attachment 739077
1. In a clean 16oz container, mix 12oz Diet Pepsi with 2oz Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum. Set aside.
2. Order Standard Motor Products ignition switch, part no. US-74 from rockauto.com (see attached).
3. Consume your alcoholic beverage and relax.
4. When part arrives, toss old one and install new one.

NOTE: Places like O'Reilly's may have or be able to get same switch for equal or less cost than rockauto.com plus shipping....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts