Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tinkering with the standard 65 seatbelts I bought from a salvage yard and after engineering mounts for the back seat, I was checking out the mounts for the fronts. The passenger side outer mounting nut is missing! I found the hole but there is no nut on the inside. Drivers side is fine, bolted in the seatbelt with ease. How the heck do I bolt in the seatbelt on the passenger side now? Anyone ever have to do this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone sells nut plates I will repost when I find out who.
You are suposed to tack weld them in place but my friend just put the bolt into them and they are fine.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think he's talking about the captured nut that's on the inside of the rocker panel - so you can't just add a new nut easily from the outside.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is there is some rust in there that caused it to break free of the rocker. I would inspect this further.

Is the inner rocker rusty? Perhaps you could weld a nut onto the outside (Not the safest idea). Perhaps you could cut a small square hole next to where the seat belt nut goes and re-weld it shut after welding in a nut. Or, perhaps you can weld in an insert in the floor pan under the hole. <Just a few thoughts>

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is it exactly. Missing from the inside of the rocker. And from what I can see with a small penlight, there is virtuallly NO rust on the inside of the rocker. I do not know why the captured nut came off.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the idea Mark. I was afraid that would end up being the only way to fix this. :: since I do not own a welder and havent welded in many years, I will have to find someone to help me with this.
From what I could see with a small penlight, this was not caused by a rust issue. Rocker is quite solid.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yea, perhaps they wrenched it off trying ot remove the old seatbelts. I have the same scenerio on my front bumper mounts. I replaced the driver side frame but need to go back and add the bumper nuts for the passenger side to re-mount the bumper later. Good luck.

As for a solid rocker, poke it good and look closely (perhaps poke inside the seatbelt hole at the center of the rocker panel, concentrate on the bottom. My passenger side looked good till I pulled the patch the PO put in the car. Then it looked like I could patch the damage then...look at my site to look what I found. rust....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts