Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Spot welds on my braces were strong as well. Used spot weld cutting blades to drill them out.

The trick to not going too far with the drill is pretty simple. Drill through till you get a complete ring in the top metal. You don’t have to drill all the way through the top metal. From there use a hammer and chisel to peel the metal apart. The weld will be weakened enough so it just pops loose with a little bit of chisel work.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
unless they are interfering with the installation of the export brace, there is no need to get rid of the stubs. in fact you might be able to use them as an additional connection to the export brace by drilling the holes and running bolts through them. that gives you two more connections to really secure the brace.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used a 4-inch grinder on mine and followed up with black semi-gloss paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I am truly amazed at the depth of knowledge and variety of tools.

I just braced my hips against the shock tower (with no engine present) or against the fender, and pulled them off with my left hand, gloved of course.

I never thought about using a tool.

I am now educated.
Even a cave man can do it...haha

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Love it, but as long as we are on Geico commercials.......RIP Charlie

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I used an air chisel. Easy to do especially with the engine out. I did mine with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Passed on to me by a very experienced body guy (and used by me umpteen times during my build) leaving a perfect surface easy-peasy; Use an angle grinder with a 40 grit flap disc on the spot welds. You'll know when to stop when the metal immediately surrounding a spot weld glows bright orange. That tells you the metal of the piece to be removed has become paper-thin. Then pry or twist off the piece. Grind down the remaining spot welds smooth to the surface. This is like a five minute job with a nice smooth outcome.
This sounds like a decent way to go about it.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
This sounds like a decent way to go about it.
It is. The only times I would use my spot weld cutter anymore would be if a weld can't be reached easily with my grinder or if I intended to save and reuse the piece being removed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts