Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's probably an easy way and I am just not seeing it. I have the backs off of both the driver's and passenger's side seats, but I still need to get the 'bottoms' off. I have the rear fold-down seat completely out, but can't seem to find out how to take out the front ones. I have two different shop manuals, and neither of them tell how to remove them. I have looked at every page. This is on the 69 Mach 1, also. I'm in the process of disassembly right now. Any help appreciated.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617612&a=12349055&p=45163239&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg
[color:blue]1969 Mach 1-in restoration</font color=blue>
[color:green]I got my stang on April Fools day. I wonder if that means something....</font color=green>

·
Administrator
19,476 Posts
You have to get them from underneath car. Look for four rubber plugs on the chassis under the seats. Pull them off and then get a ratchet with a long socket to reach up in and remove the bolts that are holding the seats down. It's tricky but take your time so you don't lose the nuts. It's a real pain to get them back if you drop them inside the floor pan. Been there, done that. *G* Once you remove the nuts the seat bottoms should pull up easily.

I love it when a plan comes together!

[color:red]1968 Coupe, "Murphy" - Original (car and owner)</font color=red>
[color:blue]1968 Fastback, "Trouble" - Restomod</font color=blue>
[color:white]1967-1968 MCA Certified Judge</font color=white>

G

·
0 Posts
Look underneath the car. You'll see eight rubber plugs (or at least holes where ones would go). The nuts that hold the seats in can be accessed through those holes. I believe they take a 1/2" socket.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."-Eisenhower

G

·
0 Posts
took me a while to figure it out to. my rubber plugs were so hard (dry rotted) i thought they were part of the floorpans.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thanks, both of you. Hehe. I never thought of looking on the under side, although I was just under there, taking out the cheap rollbar that a PO put in. It's still not all the way out, just one side. Guess I will do the rest tomorrow. Thanks again.

Edited: Yeah, I bet mine will be hard and dry too. A lot of the rubber on/in the car is like that. =)

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1617612&a=12349055&p=45163239&Sequence=0&res=high.jpg
[color:green]I got my stang on April Fools day. I wonder if that means something....</font color=green><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 67_Mustang on 04/15/01 11:22 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
You have to remove the 4 bolts for each seat from underneath the car. There should be ( I say should be as I've seen them missing lots of times) a rubber grommet covering each bolt hole. You'll need a 1/2 inch deep well socket and extension to remove 4 each per seat. Note when reinstalling, be careful not to overtighten --you could bust the nut off requiring a new seat track (I learned the hard way).

If you are asking how to separate the top FROM the bottom, then you'll need to remove the outside chrome trim, then the plastic inside trim (held on by one screw) to expose the hairpin retaining clips holding the backrest to the cushion. Next, use remove the two hairpin retaining clips. Using a large screwdriver, pry the outside (longer) arm of the pin and slide the inside arm off the opposite pin. Use padding when removing (prying) so you dont poke a hole in the upholstery.

Rich
1966 GT convertible

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. I just needed to know how to get the bottoms off, since I already have the backs off. Thanks anyways, though.

[color:green]I got my stang on April Fools day. I wonder if that means something....</font color=green>

G

·
0 Posts
Be sure to spray a good amount of pentrating oil (read: wd-40) on the bolts before trying to remove them I snapped a bolt off of my rails b/c I didn;t do that.

-John

66' 200 3 speed Daily Driver
AkA Babe the Blue Ox
Bloomington, IN & Louisville, KY

1 - 8 of 8 Posts