Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have drilled out all of the spot welds (about 132 of them) and I have a brass weld in the corner just below the corner where the windshield seal would be. Do I just need to cut part of the way through to free up the panel?? Any advise would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I just use a cutoff wheel to cut along the weld to seperate the two??

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Either that or use a torch to melt the braze and remove it.

Brazing is an easy skill that proves beneficial in sheet metal repair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What type of gas do I need? I tried to melt it out but I may not have the right type of gas.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Oxy/Acetylene, I'm guessing by your question that you don't have one. If you can cut off the cowl in such a way as not to damage it beyond repair that would be fine. Removing the factory brazing on my car was the easiest way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Goodness that looks like a nightmare to drill out, and I need to do the same thing, can you use a thin cut off wheel and cut thru the seam, sorry I dont have any good advice as I havent tried to split mine apart yet, more of a question then a solution.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep Drilling it out sucks. I tried the spot weld cutters but they dull fast, the best thing I found was just a 3/8" cobalt metal bit (craftsman) You just have to not go too deep because you need to have the metal under it to weld to whey you put it back on. And yes there are about 132 spot welds to drill out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like you did a good job. Question on the lower row of spot welds under the windshield.... how did you get thoes to pop apart? All of the others I could get a panel seperating knife in to pop them apart but I am having trouble with thoes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I separated the top set of welds, then went to one side, and started along the bottom row, and separated it across the car. It should lift up just enough to let you work from one side to the other with your panel separater.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I worked the top row loose with a thin chisel. After the rest was free I moved the cowl a little at a time. They eventually broke free. I also tapped them loose with a curved chisel if they didn't break loose when i moved the cowl. What kind of spot weld bit are you using? Mine looks like a 3/8" hole saw with a starter bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts