Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly new to both "Mustang'ing"... AND Texas. I've seen some vintage mustangs on the road around here with black and white vintage Texas license plates. I just think they're really cool.

I'm wondering where I can find some 1966 TX plates for my car, and how one goes about getting them registered? What kind of hoops are there to jump through?

Thanks!
George

·
Registered
506 Posts
I was told a lil while back to go to the Yellow Rose show in Ft Worth this coming weekend, there is supposed to be a guy there that sells the plates and authentic inspection stickers you can put on your car when you use the old plates...very cool! ::

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I just looked into using old plates. you will have to get your plates (from a swapmeet or someplace) that are correct for your year of car. Then you will need to contact the Highway dept-special plates dept...512-374-5010. they have an application & fee ($15). They will also want to inspect the plates to make sure they are OK. they can tell you the nearest place to get them inspected. As long as the plate numbers are not being used elswhere, you should be able to use them. I got the phone number from the local tax assesor here in Hays Co. You may have a local number that you can use if you contact the tax assesor for your county. I saw several vendors with vintage plates at the fredricksburg swap meet for an average price of 20-25 dollars.I did not buy any for my car as the 1970 plates are pretty ugly IMHO, but they are a perfect match for grabber blue cars-just wouldn't look good on a gold car. good luck. tp.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Call Johns Mustangs in Houston. He has plates for most years and the forms necessary. It runs about $85 for five years. The biggest worry is buying some from a swapmeet and getting some that are already registered and not being able to use them. John has new never used plates. The biggest drawback to this type of plate is that it is not for daily drivers, only occasional use. Also it does not require a state inspection and at swap meets you can find repro inspection stickers. The Torino in my sig pic has 70 plates and inspection sticker. I have a set of plates for my 69 Mach when it gets finished.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great.
Thanks for all the info.

I'm nowhere near driving my mustang. I've just begun the teardown stage, but I know I like that vintage plate look. Especially the 65-66.
If that doesn't work out I could always go with those Texas flag license plates. I wonder if the flag is Red, Wimbleton White, and Blue. <Grin>

Thanks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've got '71 plates for my car, but I don't recall any restriction on using them. Once they are verified and registered to your car, they are treated just like custom/personalized plates. Likewise, you pay extra at renewal time. But they do add a bit of authenticity to the look! ::

·
Registered
948 Posts
I agree, I've got '65 plates on my car, that were never before issued. All you have to do is take it to any county tax office now, and have them approved.
I've got a current inspection sticker on mine, and was told there was no restriction on driving like this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought my 1968 plates at the Yellow Rose show last year from a vendor. These are New Old Stock, UNISSUED original 1968 plates at are legal to use. Included with the plates is a Texas DPS form for registering the vintage plates. I forget the form number.

Come on out to Yellow Rose and buy a set!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, you talked me into it. I'll come out to the Yellow Rose! ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
you dont even need inspection sticker..
That's not exactly true. Registering vintage plates, and registering your car as an "antique" (no inspection) are two separate steps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts