Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i removed the full floor pan on the drivers side, i have the full floor, the toe board, the floor extension, and torque box.

i have never done anything like this, so i have no idea on how to go about it? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

here are some pics at what im facing

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2193000-2193999/2193400_13_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2193000-2193999/2193400_14_full.jpg

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
How is the front frame and shock tower on that side?I'm curious about the extent of the rust? How is that floor support frame rail?It looks a little suspicious to me.Basically I would do Floor support rail,Then torque box,The n the toe board and lastly the floor pan.In that order.The battery apron looks great keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the frame rails are surprisingly fine front and rear, I KNOW dont ask me how but their solid. that floor support is shot, its hard to see in the pic but there is a hole in the bottom.

what does that floor support weld to? directly to the front frame rail??? and then the torque box welds to that, and then the toe board ontop of the torque box????

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Hey,
Yea I thought the floor support looked pretty beat.You have the order,the floor support is just an extension of the front frame rail.It then welds to the cross member brace and the Torque box.Then like you said the toe board goes over that and lastly the floor pan goes in.I'm sure others have already suggested it or you may already have one,but a weld and sealant manual is a very handy thing to have.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where could i go about getting a weld and sealant manual? any repo parts supplier have them?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Yea bascially all the parts places carry them.I got mine from Scott Drake because I'm a dealer.They are made by Jim Osborne Reproductions.I have found them to come in very handy,They have body,interior,chassis,electrical,and of course weld and sealant.If you have trouble finding them let me know I could get them for you I wouldn't have them for a few days though.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Definitely buy the Osbourne manauls. You might also find that the frame rail is toast where the extension attaches to it. That's what I found (damn mice). Since I'm working on a convertible, I bought the convertible frame patches and cut out the bad front frame rails section and welded in the patch. Actually, the patch comes a one section, kind of a square U shape. I cut it into two pieces (since the frame rail isn't one piece), and welded in the two secions. For some reason, the front rail extensions were too wide to fit over the stock rail (actually the old extension would fit inside). That was another reason I cut the patch in two. It's kinda tough to describe, but it worked out pretty well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts