Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
The speedometer and odometer are both driven by the same cable. It is not uncommon for one of them to work and the other one to not work. If either one is working your cable is good and the problem lies in the speedometer/odometer mechanism.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The white crown gear on the odometer wheel is probably split and cracked from age and heat. It's a matter of inspect the speedometer and see what's broken and repair it. Not many speedometer shops left anymore so it's pretty much DIY and find spare speedometers and hope you can get good parts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Speedometer works, so....

The speedometer and odometer are both driven by the same cable. It is not uncommon for one of them to work and the other one to not work. If either one is working your cable is good and the problem lies in the speedometer/odometer mechanism.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took down my instrument cluster, installed a new lens, and general cleaning. Reinstalled and odometer started working - either the crown gear that elcam84 noted above was crusty and stuck, or the cable was not seated all the way.

Regardless, it works.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Yeah........

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my odometer just does not want to work.

I was just quoted $135 to repair from a place that only works on gauges and the like. Plus tax mind you.

Seems like a lot.

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
You're paying for his knowledge and the fact that most people are afraid to take one apart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you have the falcon style speedo CJ sells a reproduction unit. I just installed one in my 65 and it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts