Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I install an MSD billet distributor on a rebuilt 289 (w/ 351 heads)? I think the #1 cylinder is at TDC (piston is at top of cylinder) but I still can't seem to get the distributor in. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Use a socket on the balancer and turn the engine tell TDC lines up with the timing pointer. Now, take you dizzy and put your vac advance unit and put point it the the direction that you desire. Just wiggle the distributor down shaking it carefully side to side. MAKE SURE it is all the way in , or you could dmage cam or distributor gears. Now. Wherever the rotor on the distributor is facing THAT is where you place the number one plug. Remember clockwise turn of your distributor is advance, and counter is retard. Make sure you have a strobe timing light. Its the best thing I have ever bought for my car. You might also want to chalf you balancer so you can see it better. Start at about 10 btdc and go from there. I hope I helped. Josh

G

·
0 Posts
Make completely sure #1 is at TDC(check timing pointer). On my dizzy, the vaccuum adv. has to point towards the front, so I pointed that towards the front and rotated the rotor about an inch back from where it would be if it were firing #1(this is to make up for the rotation caused by the cam gear when you drop the dizzy in) Now slowly slide in the dizzy, making sure that your oil pump shaft is lining up correctly. It took me several trie before I got it to line up. The rotor will move slightly b/c of the 2 gears lining up. Good luck and if you keep havin problems, come on back.
-Ryan

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
On Two Guys Garage this weekend they were putting a distributor in a 351C. They put grease on the gear, seated the distributor, rotated the engine to check the contact pattern. Things were going well until they removed the distributor for the check and pulled the oil pump shaft up with the distributor. They said this was a problem with Fords, but didn't show the fix. I wonder if the're aware of the McDonalds straw trick?
Now that I've entered this, I'm wondering what was my point relative to the original post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts