Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 coupe, and I have been trying to install the headlights. I got the whole kit from Matt at Ponderosa. The only thing I can't figure out, is how the "Headlight adjuster ring" or the bucket the light fits into attaches. I know it has 2 or three screws that hold it, but what about that spring? I have no clue where the spring go's, and i tried for hours today to figure it out..... No go. Please help.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I bought the same kit from Matt. I am trying to remember exactly, I hope this is right. The piece the headlight sits in has cutouts on the side, the spring runs from there to the back of the headlight housing. I had to remove my other headlight to figure it out. I hope this helps. If my car was here right now I would go double check it for you. If this doesn't help, let me know, I can go to the body shop and pull a headlight real quick and check. Kalin

G

·
0 Posts
A 66 has 2 screws and a spring. Figure out where the screws go and the spring will be easy as
they are evenly spaced around the edge of the bucket. But I've got crs at the moment and can't
tell you if the spring is on the grill side or fender side.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
the spring goes from hole above the rectangular slot (1/2 in X 2 in) then thru slot to bracket with "U" shaped semicircle. 2 adjuster mechanisms ( plate with plastic squares and long screws) at 3 and 6 o'clock on pas side from front view on are installed with phillips head screw heads sticking out front take the slots on the pot metal bucket and provide adjustment - pot light bucket just rests against headlight bucket.lamp assebembly is held by one ring and trim ring closes hole. aconfusing and my explanation is probably lacking.. PM me if further questions - i have one finished and one in works since i always do one and use one for model.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,831 Posts
IF the left headlight were a clock, the odd-shaped square hole the spring hooks into would be right about 1 o'clock.
It is kind of a goofy arrangement. IIRC, I had to hook the spring to the headlight first while holding the headlight bucket cocked to get the other end hooked into the hole. Then I swung the headlight into position and put the screws in.
It took more than one try and some fiddling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts