Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I hear all the older mussle cars that have a rumbling sound. I really like that sound and want our Mustang to sound like that. We have a 66 Coupe with 289 2 BBl Carb and single exhaust.
How do I go about making it sound louder. I know exhaust is one, but do I need to convert the car to a duel exhaust?
Will I be needing headers?
What brands do you recommend for both exhaust or the headers if I need them?

Also I do not want to add too much horse power to the car because mostly my 16 year old will be driving it.
Thanks in advance
Amir

·
Registered
539 Posts
A lot of people convert to dual exhaust but you don't have to unless you want to (but dual will probably sound meaner). Again I don't think you need headers and exhaust manifolds will work but headers flow better. Flowmasters are known for their mean tone although some people hate them. Another muffler I hear good things about are DynoMax Super Turbo Mufflers.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
drop a mildly built 429 under the hood *G*

·
Registered
762 Posts
AAAWWW TFOB...I smile a big wide toothy one every time I see your car. Thou shall not covet !!!! Thou shall not covet !!!!

Actually, I have a 302 2bbl and have headers, dual Exhaust and cheap (loud) mufflers. Sounds mean as heck !

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah... Mufflers, exhaust, headers, camshaft...

But my question is why would you want your 16 year old's car to sound mean as hell? When I was 16, if my car had a mean rumble to it, I would love to show everybody what it had. And all of my friends would be right there egging me on to do it.

Understand that I'm sure that you've got a great kid worthy of a car that would make every other kid at school jealous, but peer pressure can be a great factor. I mean it made me do things that I knew were wrong (Like wrap my mom's 87 GT 'vert around a tree while taking a friend home from school--w/o her permission, of course... This was in 93 and the car had 3k miles... a story for another time, I guess...)

Maybe I'm sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, but just my $.02.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree with you.

Making the car sound meaner and nicer is for next year or two. He is still too young to be able to control the peer presure. He is a smart kid, but not that smart ;-)

This will be a project for later along with the new paint job once I know he is responsible enough and learns to handle the car. In addition, I like to research things before I put money into it (His Money ... he he he).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts