Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was initially going to mount my new tach on the steering colum but since I already have a small crack on the dash pad right about where the tach should mount (just to the right of the driver) I think I will go with that route.

But....is it hard mounting a tach to the dash pad? Do I have to remove the dash pad or do I need anything special things to mount it? Does it screw in?

Thanks, Greg.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Most Tach suppliers will also have a mounting bracket for this purpose. How or where really depends on the year of your Stang. On a 65/66, you can mount it to the screw on the speaker/defroster grill. And also drill a hole in that grill for a grommet to get the wire though.
On other years, you might need to put spacers under the bracket, otherwise the cushon might give, leaving the Tach loose.
Warning: Some small minded police depts harass those with them top mounted. Usually some kind of untrue visibility issue. I really think it's an envy issue. You have a cool car and the policeman doesnt...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Mine, like the one seen in this pic, is mounted right on the top of the dash. I looked at a real Shelby GT350H at a car show and this is also how his was mounted. It doesn't seem like it would work, but I have had mine mouted for 2 years now and it has not been a problem.

http://mark.emdnet.com/images/350H_clean_int2.jpg

·
Registered
251 Posts
I was wondering...my friend will sell me his autometer 10,000 rpm tach with shift light for 20 bucks, but its one of the 5" faces. Looks pretty big for my 65, thought it might look kinda weird? Does anyone have a 5" tach or shoudl i go smaller with like a 3 3/8?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts