Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to put late-model Fuel Injected 302 in 69 Mustang cpe.
Shock towers are too close. I know they can be modified to accept a wider engine, but I do not know the specs. Can anyone help me ????

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
That engine should fit just fine without any mods to your shock towers.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1572917&a=11954864&p=42994554.jpg

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
The only time you should be modifying your shock towers is if you're installing a BOSS 429 or a new modular 4.6. Mustangs came with 260s, 289s and 302s since the beginning. A 302 should fit easily.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1570462&a=11937310&p=44317415.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply.....
maybe I am an idiot for attempting to do this, but my goal is to place the entire assembly, with a/c comp. and air cleaner assy from an 89 merc grand marquis into the 69 mustang. the measurements as best I can tell, would let me put the engine in, but the air cleaner assy and a/c compressor will have interference with the towers. Is there a way to eliminate the towers all together? perhaps pinto front or something? I am only going on word of mouth from others, and don't think I remember what a pinto front looks like, much less whether or not it would fit. I am sure you are aware of many possibilities or know someone else who knows.

I also have another 69 mustang that I want to put a big block into, and whether or not I have to make changes on the FI 302 conversion, I am sure I will have to make these modifications on the big block.

Any info is appreciated.

Henry Jones

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi.

The way you are going about this is all wrong. the 302 engine is the same deminsions as the 5.0 , and the car came with a 302.
As for the air cleaner, air compressor, ect. What you need to do is use different one that WILL fit your car. It makes no sence to change the shock towers so an air cleaner assy. can fit...just get a different assembly. I also cannot believe that you would have to move the shock towers to get AC in there. These cars came with ac from the factory, with much larger compressors than today's cars. You may have to re-position something, but it shouldnt be a big problem.

Post a new question asking for help from the people who had done the 5.0 swap...there are ALOT on this forum who have done just that. There are also websites that talk about just that and sell conversion kits for it.

Good luck!!

Full Throttle
http://homepages.go.com/~ful_throttle/fullthrottle.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input. I am just going to set the engine assy into a front clip I have and see how it goes from there, before removing my 351W. I have just learned of a local place where I can get my a/c lines custom made and the air is not as big a problem as my wife wanting her a/c. Again, thanks to all who have put in their 2 cents. Henry

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Ditto to the previous posts, the 5.0 will fit fine, modify your accessories as needed to fit. Also, you may want to consider a 5.0HO. I have a '89 Town Car and the 5.0 is rated at a measly 155 net hp, as opposed to the HO at 225. I believe the difference is in pistons, intake, cam and exhaust. The non-HO 5.0 would probably be comparable to a 302-2V in gross hp.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 5.0 fits without any crazy mods, I've done it. Windsor-Fox Engineering in Apple Valley, CA has everything you'll need to adapt it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts