Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, oh wise and knowledgable Mustang seers... Rather than knock my head some more.. please tell me how to remove the front seats of my 69?

It's probably something simple but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks!!
Mike.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ok, oh wise and knowledgable Mustang seers... Rather than knock my head some more.. please tell me how to remove the front seats of my 69?

It's probably something simple but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks!!
Mike.
4 nuts, must use a deep socket, and must remove the 4 round rubber access hole covers underneath the car...

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The studs are built into the tracks and the nuts are accessed from the bottom. There are four rubber plugs concealing the nuts for each seat. Remove them, remove the nuts, and the seats come right out. Perhaps some WD40 on the nuts first as the studs can be snapped fairly easily loosening a rusty nut.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! Go figure... under the car. I've been mucking around inside the cabin. Yeah, It's my first pony, can'tcha tell? :eek:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Thanks, guys! Go figure... under the car. I've been mucking around inside the cabin. Yeah, It's my first pony, can'tcha tell? :eek:
Since it is your first... here's a little trick when removing and installing these nuts:

Get a cardboard tube from the center of a toilet paper roll and put it in the access holes when you are removing or installing these nuts. It prevents the nut from slipping off your socket and getting caught beneath the seat riser where it will roll, rattle, and annoy you whenever you drive your car...

Good luck,

-Rory

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since it is your first... here's a little trick when removing and installing these nuts:

Get a cardboard tube from the center of a toilet paper roll and put it in the access holes when you are removing or installing these nuts. It prevents the nut from slipping off your socket and getting caught beneath the seat riser where it will roll, rattle, and annoy you whenever you drive your car...

Good luck,

-Rory
+1. This is a must.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Depending on your exhaust setup you may and up with a pipe in the way. I had to unbolt my passenger side exhaust rear hanger so I could push the pipe over about 2" to get the socket to go in the hole. I think 7/16 should be the size. I just installed a seat today so you would think I'd remember!

·
Registered
307 Posts

Good luck,

-Rory
Hmmm, simple effective idea. Strangely enough this has never happened to me with all of the stangs I have worked on. I have probably had seats in or out at least a dozen times. I can see it happening though.

One thing I always do, is flip the seats forward first This helps even out the center of gravity and keeps pressure off the nuts as the seats always want to flop into the backseat. When I get to the last bolt (front outer in the order I do it) I have one hand on the seat and one on the ratchet.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Flipping the seats forward and the toilet paper, two great ideas, thanks guys.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think 7/16 should be the size. I just installed a seat today so you would think I'd remember!
I was just going to ask what size socket to use.

Thanks as always!
Mike.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I stick a magnet on the side of the deep socket. Keeps the nut seated in the socket and even if it pops out the magnet will catch it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a chance to look under the car last night and boy was it easy to find the location of the access holes cuz there were no rubber caps on them!?!?!?
Does anyone know if they are available anywhere?
I figure I should put some on to keep out the road crud.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Got a chance to look under the car last night and boy was it easy to find the location of the access holes cuz there were no rubber caps on them!?!?!?
Does anyone know if they are available anywhere?
I figure I should put some on to keep out the road crud.
They area available from most of the usual outlets, although you're probably better off buying an entire set of plugs for your year of car as this is more cost effective and you'll proabably need them all eventually.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts